Thursday, September 4, 2014

"A Besotted Reader"

"I also am a Besotted Reader,

often lost, as I was last night, in a book."

David Grayson
The Countryman's Year




These books have been some of my nighttime reading lately:

Collected Stories of Jessamyn West
(anything by West is good)

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl
(loved her food memoir Tender at the Bone,
Delicious!, not as much)

All My Yesterdays, autobiography of Edward G. Robinson
(still reading it, loving it)

The Long Way Home by Louise Penny
(saving this for a Penny post soon)

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
(couldn't resist finally reading the book
as I remembered wishing I could be as perfect
as a Stepford wife when I saw the movie back in the '70s,
not as chilling as his Rosemary's Baby)

and




As I Am by Patricia Neal
(fascinating woman, admirable in her 
honesty about her own flaws--and those of her ex)

Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
(could not put it down but I wouldn't
stand up in Sunday School and recommend it)

September by Rosamunde Pilcher
(I reread this every few Augusts when I
absolutely cannot wait for September)

The L-Shaped Room by Lynne Reid Banks
(better than the old movie)

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
(don't read when you're depressed but as always
Didion's writing is marvelous--on second thought,
this book gave me strength in a difficult time)

That's all for now. 
If only I could ask you what you're reading,
and it's tempting to turn on comments.
I'm afraid I'd be back where I was at Across the Way
with no time to read if I did that!

I hope you understand.
I do appreciate it so much when I see my old
blogfriends are visiting.
Thank you for that and I hope that
you're a little relieved not to have to comment here!

Instead, be a besotted reader of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment