Tuesday, February 21, 2017

A Trip to Our Old House

Many of you know that when we moved to Florida we sold our 1920 farmhouse, our home for over 25 years, to our son Zack and our soon-to-be daughter-in-law Courtney. 

Would you like to see a few pictures of the dear old house now? They have put so much hard work into making it their own and it has a fresh young look. 




Remember the long narrow space below that was so difficult for me to use?



Courtney has made it into a special reading and music nook where some of her many houseplants thrive.  Here it is again.......



RH and I love what this long narrow room has become! It used to be the back porch of the original farmhouse.

Right around the corner from this room is the large living space that is open to the kitchen. And I've borrowed one of Courtney's pictures from Facebook for it because I plumb forgot to get a picture. Later you'll understand why.

And yes, it was a Christmas picture and no, the Christmas tree is not still up but I wish I could have seen it. Next year!




Now here is the reason I forgot to take a picture of this room.......



Remember this boy, our sweet Brown Eyes? He's a very big boy and he stayed there on the farm with Zack and Courtney when we moved to Florida. He recently had eye surgery and has had to wear a cone. He remembered us and was happy to see us but it was obvious that he knows who his mom and dad are now. He adores his new mom Courtney!



Here is the front living room that Zack and Courtney call their Tennessee Room.
There's the old Gothic church cabinet on the wall and it holds the collection of Tennessee and Nashville books I left them. And that's the old cedar chest RH gave me when we were engaged and the old wood icebox in the corner, below.

I'm so glad that they treasure these old things and have added their own treasures. 



My photograph here is out of focus but I had to show you Courtney's collection of instruments. 



Now we're in Zack's office, the room where I spent so many hours on accounting work for our family business. It's wonderful to be retired from that and have turned it over to him-- and my desk was never this organized!



The old fireplace surround and mantel show up beautifully against the blue walls. The old gas hot plate on the floor holding the dogs' water dish was a neglected treasure Courtney found in the smokehouse and brought inside. 

I've loved knowing that she has rescued and repurposed so many things that were in the outbuildings. Like these old green handled utensils that I stuck in the barn years ago? Courtney saw that they were unique and mounted them on this old piece of metal and hung them in the kitchen.



Another room I completely forgot to photograph is my old dressing room where they have added this gorgeous claw foot tub. I borrowed this photo from her post on Facebook too--my excuse for not asking permission is that the girl is extremely busy right now, dealing with florists and caterers, etc. And finding a stunning wedding gown!



Courtney says it's a work in progress but isn't it dreamy?

You can't really see in the picture but there is also an old Franklin stove beside the tub that belonged to RH's grandparents. Courtney scrubbed it down with a wire brush and painted it a glossy white. 

Could you bear with me for more pictures? Zack and Courtney took us out for Sunday brunch at The Old School, a new restaurant near them that's part of the Eat Real movement.

Located in an actual former school near the Cumberland River, they have large gardens and their own hens and use their own and regional organic sustainable food.





And, since it had been a record four months since the last time RH and I had eaten at a restaurant, you're going to have to look at pictures of our plates.




My trout with Hollandaise sauce and smoked Gouda grits.
I'm hiding my Bloody Mary glass!


Zack's sweet potatoes, bacon and poached eggs.


Courtney and RH both ordered the breakfast vegetable hash with eggs.

After our delicious brunch we went back to their house and walked around outside and visited the hens. No pictures of that and I also forgot to take pictures of Zack's bulldog and Courtney's greyhound.

I'll get more photos on another visit and you'll see photographs of a farmhouse wedding come September!

Thank you so much for visiting! Have I told you lately that I love you?

Well, darlin', I'm telling you now!

47 comments:

  1. Dewena, You have a beautiful new daughter-in-law. I love her collections. She will love and honor the house you sold to your son. I wish you al the very best. I hope you are adjusting to your new home and loving it. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dewena for the tour of your old house that has been made into a modern home for you son. Courtney is a great decorator and I'm sure you loved to see her take on making it her home. I love it when the style of a home represents the owners and not some fancy decorator who chose the objects for them. so lovely. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks so beautiful...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dewena, darlin', you are BEAMING with joy! I can't tell you how happy this makes me!

    Zack and Courtney have done such a wonderful job of decorating the farmhouse with their own personal flair, while featuring your and R.H.'s treasures. Kudos to Courtney for refurbishing your kitchen gadgets with that signature, apple green hue of yours, and displaying it like artwork! The gas hot plate and old Franklin stove, too, add a historic element to the decor, perfectly complementing its contemporary vibe.

    What scrumptious breakfasts you all enjoyed. Eating organic, whole foods has really taken off, thankfully, in North America, something that has always been a way of life here in the Med.

    Wishing you a warm and wonderful Wednesday.

    xoxo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy! You know how much it means to me to know that she and Zack love the place and will care for it. It needed the energy of youth!

      Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday too in the land of healthy Mediterranean cuisine!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Deweena, this just brought a gush of tears it touches my heart so much!!! Every part of the passing down... the tender care... the continuity of family and home... the love that continues... My heart of heart favorite kind of story. I love that you get to see your and your family's home passed to the next generation... more to come. I look forward to seeing that wedding! blessings and hugs ~ tanna
    ps you made me want to find The Old School! Loved the photo of the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gone to the core of the whole thing that blesses my heart, Tanna! To see the old home and valley continue to be loved, on and on.......hopefully to the next generation some day!

      Delete
  6. I love what Courtney and Zack have done with your lovely homestead. It must warm your heart that they are taking such good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely does, Karen! They are such hard workers and Courtney is so talented creatively.

      Delete
  7. omygoodness!!!
    this post is a GIFT.
    and I echo every comment made. but most especially tanna's.
    it brought tears to my eyes too. I think among things she said so well but also just for everybody's sheer happiness now... and you can SEE IT in all your faces! beautiful children and beautiful parents and sharing changes and new adventures for both. just as it should be! I loved valley view then and I love the forest cottage now. I have forgotten its new name! the blending of yours and theirs is perfect. its breathing new life yet keeping some of its roots. oh dewena. i'm so happy. to think it didn't go to strangers! it's still part of your wonderful family now.
    I cannot wait for the wedding! bless you darling sister mine. and all your family. and the furries too! XOXOXO♥
    and ps... I LOVE that top you're wearing. it's perfect for you! and I wish I had one in several different colors! thank you for such great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tammy, just to know it did not go to strangers but to family who love it is such a blessing! It was time to pass it on and the whole family is so happy to know that it's staying in the family.

      Thank you for the compliment on the top, you know how fashion-challenged I am!

      Delete
  8. I love the boho style Zach and Courtney have in the farmhouse! I'm sure it must be bittersweet for you going back there, even though your son and future daughter in law are loving and honoring the heritage of the home. That restaurant looks amazing....and I would have been posing WITH the bloody mary glass ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's not really bittersweet at all. I missed it of course, lots of wonderful memories. But when I first met Courtney, when Zack brought her home to meet us and I learned about how much she wanted someday to have a small farm, I knew that our place was meant for them. That made it really easy to let it go.

      Come to think about it, you two would hit it off! She would love to see your gardens. This spring I'll have to post some pictures of the outside there. She loves to garden as much as you do!

      Delete
  9. I love what Zach and Courtney have done with the farmhouse! Their style is GREAT and it is all so lovely. You look so happy! I know you are glad to be back 'home' settling into your new smaller home.

    Hiding your bloody Mary glass. I haven't had one of those in years. My drink of choice is a margarita. :-)

    Thank you for sharing your visit back to your old farmhouse.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! And oh my goodness, would Courtney love your secret garden!

      Delete
  10. Your radiant smile says it all Dewena! It's so wonderful to see how things worked out just as they were meant to. Your beloved farmhouse is now where it belongs...with a young, vibrant and creative couple who will love it as much as you both did. The fact that they happen to be family is a HUGE bonus!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Doreen! You hit the nail on the head!

      Hope you and the Fisherman are having a blast. Just think, I would actually have gotten to meet you soon if we had not moved. Sometime visit Music City USA where I can, please.

      Delete
  11. How lovely to know that your home is being treasured by the next generation. It looks cozy and welcoming. The plant porch room is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorrie! I look forward to seeing them work on lots of future projects there too.

      Delete
  12. They have a gorgeous sense of style and how wonderful it is that the house will has become home to another generation. That must make you so pleased!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm as pleased as anyone could possibly be, Kim!

      On their behalf, I thank you for the compliment to them!

      Delete
  13. the only thing sweeter than a mandolin is a lover's caress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Sandra, I have a feeling Courtney is going to love your comment. I do too.

      Delete
  14. I love what they've done, Dewena. How sweet that they have saved and are using family heirlooms. I have a green handled rolling pin just like the one Courtney has on her metal "collage". Love that! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. And I forgot to get a picture of the gallery wall that Courtney created out of old black and white photos from her family and Zack's. Next time!

      Delete
  15. Hi Dewena,
    So glad you got to see how well the old homestead was being treated by your son and DIL. How wonderful to pass it onto someone in the family to love and call it home. Love that Courtney loves the history and joy from her collections. The long narrow porch looks beautiful. Glad you had this visit.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kris. Knowing how much you treasure the home you and your husband create makes this especially sweet.

      Delete
  16. The farmhouse looks so nice, Dewena, with Courtney's special touches throughout the house. I really like the BIG room, it's cozy and charming. The old cedar chest is such a treasure. The cabinet on the wall filled with books has a unique design, that's very nice. The green utensils on the wall look cool. And what a sweet picture of you with your son. The Old School Restaurant caught my eye, cause I have a bit of old school in me haha. I bet it was so nice going back home, and I'm sure Brown Eyes missed you alot. I do hope that he heals from his eye surgery, poor fellow.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Old School, too, Sheri!

      The story behind the Gothic church cabinet is that we found it in the smokehouse when we bought the place 25 years ago. It was covered in owl poop and RH cleaned it up, painted it and hung it in the living room for me. There's another one in the smokehouse still but in terrible shape. Maybe Courtney will think up a way to rescue it too!

      I'll let you know how Brown Eyes does. I know that he's getting the best of care and lots of love.

      Delete
  17. Dewena,
    How nice to visit the farmhouse again! They've done a wonderful job of making the house their own! I especially love the reading area! What a great use of that space! I imagine the wedding will be amazing! What a nice family event to look forward too! And of course another chance to visit the farmhouse! I sense you felt quite a bit of joy during this visit! :) xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A heart full of joy, Linda! A mother's heart always wants to know her children are happy, right? That's the important thing.

      Delete
  18. It must have done your heart good to see your old home so cherished and looking so good. A daughter-in-law who shares your love for your son AND your old house is a gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Courtney is doing a fabulous job making your beloved home a new home and beginning for she and your son, all the while keeping the integrity the way it's been since it was yours. She has great taste, I love that she is a selfless animal lover as well.

    Thanks for the pics...I never got to see your home. It was great to see the photos of all of you at the restaurant. You look like an Irish gal, sparkling eyes and dimples. Am I wrong?

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must warm your heart to see the old home getting so much TLC. Happy Thursday, dear Dewena.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Dewena, every detail says HOME. What a beautiful post. I'm so glad you snapped those pics ...and Brown Eyes ...sigh. <3 <3 <3 Your beautiful faces warm this ol' cold screen.
    Love you too, darlin'. (made me cry...good cry) ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. The house looks beautiful and I know you are so happy that it is being loved by your family! It is so wonderful see pics of all of you! What an interesting restaurant...can't wait to get back to Nashville for some visiting and eating! :-) I know you are so happy to be back...it is hard to leave a place we love so much and have loved for so many years! Love and hugs to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness...I am loving what Zack and Courtney have done with the farmhouse! I keep going back and looking the photos and taking in all the details. Courtney is obviously very creative and has a flair for decorating and showing their personality in spaces. I am in love with that Gothic church cabinet. I wonder if I could find something like that on Craigslist? I might have to do some searching.
    The restaurant you ate at sounds like a wonderful place. The food looks so fresh and delicious.
    Can't wait to see more pics of the house - and the dogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quite thrilling, and a joy. Rare in USA, passing a house this way. All of you have been given a gift in the transaction.

    XO T

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Dewena I loved seeing them settling into your old home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Dewena what a wonderful trip around your old house.
    It's so nice to know that they are settling in well and the old house is being so well cared for. I'm sure it will provide many years of happy memories for the youngsters as it did for you.

    Your meal out looks delicious.

    Good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so wonderful that your beloved house has remained in the family, and that you can visit! Looks like they've done a wonderful job transforming it into their own! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was simply marvelous - Courtney's style is marvelous! It must make you so happy not to have to lose your beloved house, but instead to be able to enjoy it without having to do the work. I'm glad you showed as many photos as you did, and I'll look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, boy, was that ever fun! She is really creative!! Love so many things I saw. It looks like the house is well set for plants. They make a house so special, I think. Does she play all those instruments?? Looking forward to wedding pics.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow....bet that was a cool place. Looks like they have made it their home now and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete