Monday, December 17, 2018

1968 House & Garden December Issue



This 1968 House & Garden magazine is a star in my large collection of vintage magazines, although it's difficult for me to think of anything 1968 as vintage. if you were born as early in the 20th century as I was, you would understand what I mean.

I thought it would be fun to show you a few things featured in this December 1968 issue.




There is a fabulous article on Christmas tables done by designers--we used to love those before bloggers took the world by storm with their own tablescapes.

This pretty one above is a Christmas Eve supper done by interior designer Chessy Rayner and Mica Ertegun of Mac II. I'm afraid I didn't even get to Mica as I completely fell down the rabbit hole researching Chessy Rayner. Just google her name and you'll find lots of photographs of her interiors and the newspaper account of her life as a fashion and designer icon. 

Her table above brought to mind one I did, among three others, in a December 2013 post called 'Tis the Season to Set the Stage.https://awindow-lookacrosstheway.blogspot.com/2013/12/tis-season-to-set-stage.html



I went back myself and read the post again--do you bloggers ever do that?--and saw sweet comments from many of you there.

RH and I had so much fun doing those four tables for a Christmas link party, but I have to confess that I've not done a single holiday table yet this month. I know some of you have, I've seen some lovely ones.

I may not follow through on everything that inspires me from my vintage women's magazines anymore but I love to spend an hour at night looking through them, notebook and pen in hand, jotting down ideas, ideas that I may never get around to doing. 

These old magazines are as comforting to me as a beloved classic holiday movie. 



This issue had a section on seasonal light displays across the U.S., like this one on Alamitos Bay near Long Beach, California. Do any of you readers live near that and know if the annual practice has been continued?



There was a fascinating article about Broadway star Joel Grey showing his apartment in Manhattan designed by Albert Hadley, who grew up in Nashville, while Grey was starring in Cabaret. 


Zebra rugs, chinoiserie, and trellis design must have been very popular that year. 

I loved the bedroom of his eight-year-old daughter Jennifer--didn't she star in a little film with Patrick Swayze when she grew up? 


The magazine also featured a beautifully iced fruitcake, something I've been researching because RH and I love good homemade golden fruitcake (well, he'll eat almost any store-bought fruitcake too, not me) and this year I really want to ice mine.



Maybe try something simple like this one I saw on Pinterest...



I'm smitten by the ones on Pinterest that use marzipan and then fondant icing, the only problem being that I've never used either of those products before.

Have any of you ever baked with them? Would a novice make a complete mess of it? And I also have to think about this fruitcake lasting us a long time, at least until Easter, because no one else in our family will eat fruitcake. How will the icing hold up with the cake refrigerated? I welcome any advice from you!



Meanwhile, it's getting drizzled with Calvados every few days and kept in a cool room. I'm thinking that we'll save it for Epiphany to let it season longer so maybe I have time to watch a lot of fondant videos before trying it.

How about you? Do you like, love or loathe fruitcake?

If you don't care for it, maybe that's because of the citron in it. I never put citron in mine, citron should be banned from the planet! And I buy my cherries from the King Arthur people.

I hope you liked a glimpse into what the magazines were like in December of 1968. I got out my first Christmas family scrapbook and found only one page from 1968, we just didn't take many photos back then. And our little girl was almost hidden by the toy box, her older brother with a big smile.




I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

18 comments:

  1. Dewena, one of my favorite things is to sit in my comfy chair with a cup of tea and go through my old magazines. I spent just such an afternoon on Saturday. As for fruitcake, I had this discussion with my son and son-in-law just tonight. It was never a tradition in our family, but my son-in-law's family loves their fruitcake. I've never seen one with icing like yours, and that might make it worth trying for me. Not to mention, how pretty it looks.

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I never ate my mother's fruitcake while I was growing up. Her coconut cake, yes, but the dark fruitcake didn't tempt me. It wasn't until I made my own after marriage, and a light fruitcake instead of dark, that I loved it.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I am a fan of fruitcake. I have not had one with icing. My grandma made the best fruitcake, she would gift us one every Christmas.
    I have not baked using marzipan, but I have eaten desserts with it and love it.
    Good Luck with the cake, keep us posted.
    Merry Christmas,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old magazines are interesting to go through. You see what trends come and go, you are inspired, you chuckle.

    I enjoy a fruitcake recipe given to me by my late MIL. No citron, instead it has chopped dates, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and chopped maraschino cherries. YUMMY, and a favorite of ours for years.

    Merry Christmas dear Dewena ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post brought back wonderful memories.
    and yes. I'm a fruitcake LOVER. especially with a good cup of simple black coffee. the best I've ever had was a gift from an insurance agency I think! up until then I didn't care much for it. but OH MY.
    it had just the right amount of Calvados. or whatever "they" used!
    it was delicious. and I tried to make it last as long as I could!
    I never have thought of icing one. but that sounds intriguing. although I have to watch my sugar now! I'm a little like RH. I've only even met just ONE fruitcake (a grocery store one) that I didn't like! it was very very DRY! maybe it was too old!
    when we lived in Virginia … our very southern neighbor shared her recipe with my mother. it was a type of fruitcake called a Hermit Cake. from then on Mother made that. and it was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post so much. I was 10 years old in 1968 and I remember my grandmother's baking and using their own recipes plus recipes from their dear magazines like this one you show. I love fruit cake and I bet yours is so good without the citron. I love a good golden one that is sweet and has all the yummy fruits in it. It is hard to find good golden fruit cakes. Enjoy making your special one. Merry Christmas sweet friend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made a golden fruitcake before, but didn't ice it. It had lots of almond paste in the cake! My daughter makes an Irish fruitcake and I think she has made the marzipan icing before... I will ask her!

    This was an inspiring post for a non-decorator like me :-) I mean, I do decorate, but it doesn't come naturally, and it's always the last thing I think of. I haven't got much done so far for this Christmas, but this year that's okay. I'm reading cookie recipes instead, so I can decide on the New Cookie that I will try this year.

    Merry Christmas to you, too, Dewena, and your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dewena, people either like or dislike fruitcake, and I love it! I've been wanting to get a good one this Christmas. That's wonderful that you make your own. The same with Marzipan - people either like it or they don't. They have a good Marzipan at See's candies. Your House and Garden December 1968 issue sure has held up, it looks in pretty good shape. These are special pictures of your children at Christmas time, such treasures. Long Beach is in So Cal, and I'm from Nor Cal, but I'm very familiar with it. It's a popular place to visit.

    I'm glad these vintage magazines are comforting to you. It's the same for me with re-runs of favorite shows. Wishing you the Merriest Christmas, Dewena, and I have really enjoyed your friendship through the years.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a small collection of Christmas issue magazines that I enjoy perusing for ideas, usually in November. I'm particularly fond of the British Country Living magazine.
    I'm in the LOATHE fruitcake camp, with or without citron. But my husband loves it, so I make a small batch every couple of years and the loaves sit in the freezer, well wrapped, and are pulled out as needed.
    Merry Christmas, Dewena!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that beautiful post on your Christmas table settings, and the red and white beauty you featured today, was, I believe, my favourite!

    Yes, we get so much inspiration from our old decorating magazines, don't we? I have had to sift through hundreds, to make final decisions of what to keep and what to toss. It was hard, but a good exercise in obtaining clarity - albeit spatial!

    Your fruitcake looks delectable! As you know, I'm not a fan of this festive sweet, but appreciate all the prep that goes into creating one. I have to say, the marzipan/fondant iced ones look very pretty, but since I have never baked with these ingredients, I can't advise you on any technique. Yours, looks lovely, as is!

    Such sweet pics of Christmases Past. I know that this year Christmas will be extra special, since you will have all your children there, with you, PLUS two guests from out of town, and so I am looking forward to pics of Christmas Present, soon!

    Happy Wednesday, my friend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your post!! Love looking through my collection of vintage magazines. I'd like to know how magazines I enjoyed in my youthful days are now considered vintage, but you are...time flies.

    In our household, we both love fruitcake so we enjoyed seeing yours in all its Calvados-splashed splendour.

    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas! Thank you so much for all your lovely comments on my blog the other day. Always a joy to see you.

    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoyed reading this, and I love the photograph of you on the side! You are so cute and elegant, and the black and white striped shirt is a staple in Paris.
    I use to have a stack of old magazines, and I loved going through them when I got off work, but I don't think I have any anymore. I love your toile table cloth and your table setting it is so elegant country, and those rooms in the magazines are still classy. I like fruit cake, but I don't know how to make it, and store bought is not so great. I am thinking marzipan would keep refrigerated, because that's just almonds, but I don't know about fondant at all! Cute photos of your children as toddlers. Merry Christmas, Dewena, to you and your family! xo Su

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dewena, I loved this post and seeing those photos. I love looking through old magazines and frequently purchase them when I find special ones at antique malls and flea markets. I love seeing how things have changed as well as how things have stayed the same! Fruitcake crossed these lips once and only once! LOL My dad's grandmother was a wonderful cook and baker, but her fruitcake was the worst. Hard as bricks and rubber! I've never used marzipan or fondant but have always wanted to try...just haven't worked up the courage yet. Love the photo of the kids from 1968! I have bits and pieces of memories from the 60s...mainly the smell of mothballs because everything Christmas was packed in mothballs! LOL Love and hugs sweet friend and Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post also! In 1968 I was at home celebrating Christmas! Thanks for sharing the photos and I live that cake! My Mom had trellis chairs and it brought back memories! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dewena, I would love looking through those old albums!! You know, I bought a decorating book eons ago and it features decor from the 1970's and it's still one of my very favorite books - you reminded me to pull it out and look at it again! I was a child of the 70's so that decor just feels like home to me. Merry Christmas, sweet Dewena!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool to look through those vintage magazines! I don't do tablescapes, as the only table I have is a small one in my eat-in kitchen. We don't have a dining room. And I have to keep things very simple on my table because the cats jump up on it. If there's a tablecloth, they love it even better. They think it's another bed for them to lie on. *sigh*

    Sorry, can't help you with the fondant or marzipan. I've never made or worked with either one.

    I've honestly never even tried fruitcake, as it never appealed to me. No one in our family ever made it, but I've seen the store-bought ones and they look gross . I would try a homemade one like yours though - I bet it's good! And I'm sure it will be just fine as is. Probably doesn't even need any type of frosting.

    Merry Christmas to you and RH. I hope that you have a wonderful holiday with your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's often so good to look at older magazines.
    Fruitcake is a favourite in our house, as it was in my parents house and my grandparents too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dewena, I am catching up on posts this morning and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. I love vintage magazines, books and just about anything old. Your table with the toile cloth is so lovely.
    I enjoy fruitcake and posted my recipe on a post earlier this month. I, too, soak it in Calvados. While the photo of one frosted is so pretty, I don't think I could get up the nerve to frost one, as I would be afraid I would make it a terrible mess.

    Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete