Friday, October 4, 2019

In the Garden On A Foggy Morning



I woke while it was still dark and went to my office after letting BreeBree and James Mason out to go potty and back in again, trying to keep the house quiet and let RH sleep in for once. I got lost in Instagram far too long--and I don't even post there.

When I got up to open the curtains and realized there was fog I grabbed the camera and went outside. 




As always when I open the kitchen door, I looked at the pond but it was lost in the mist, as you can see below, beyond the grass.


The garden seemed more colorful this foggy morning, and I wondered if it was because my eyes were still dilated from my ophthalmologist visit the day before when colors did seem more vibrant.


To my surprise when I stopped to google this to see if there was a possible scientific reason for it I discovered that there was.

While water vapor is colorless, the condensed water droplets that form and allow us to see fog can highlight the colors of their surroundings, taking the rich colors in view and fading them to the background like a natural gradient.
 May 5, 2009 post, colourlovers.com/blog

So that explains why these pictures look as if I had enhanced the colors but haven't as shown by these zinnias planted by the cupola.


The foggy conditions really show up the marvelous colors and crusty texture on the cupola roof. RH saved this piece for a focal point in our new garden when we moved here, and it covers an old well. I love looking out at this cupola from my kitchen window.


I don't think I ever showed you the second terrace that RH finished this summer, with the help of a grandson, made out of old concrete roofing tiles. I love how it turned out.


RH left a triangle area of sand in the corner for the birds to sand bathe in. Our thrasher family love it. And between it and the small first terrace that RH and our son made the second spring we were here is a flower bed that got planted to caladiums last summer. Like many garden projects this summer, it never happened but we'll plant it full of spring bulbs soon. 


The green garden chairs are all askew, pushed back for the sprinkler that RH has run every evening in our record-breaking heat.

The large canna musifolia hasn't suffered from the heat. It came back this year and again is huge.


Another Japanese maple waits in its pot for RH to plant when cooler and wetter weather comes, the fourth Japanese maple he's planted since we moved here nearly three years ago. He got this $100 beauty for $11 in the September tree sales.



Hi James Mason, come on down and join me in the garden! The new steps here are especially for James Mason who has IVDD and needs easier access up and down.


The kitchen porch looks a little messy by summer's end. A tarp covers a piece of furniture that will go underneath the big kitchen window outside that is RH's grilling area, but first it needs to be weatherized. And a cherry tomato plant has sprawled over the railing onto the porch. We have to watch our steps or squash little green tomatoes.



This little path leads back to the HVAC unit past pots of herbs. A gate keeps my babies from digging in the area. See the little maple tree growing up by the fence? RH always digs up maple seedlings and transplants them in the fall but will have to cut down this little guy. He grew up outside the fence but then grew inside so it will be impossible to move. I've asked RH to at least wait until after it puts on its autumn coat.



Let me show you a little beauty we got this summer, a garden obelisk sundial that sits on a favorite rock by our cupola bed.



Thank you for coming to my little foggy morning garden tour. Would you do me a favor and look at the plant growing in front of the zinnias? It has the prettiest leaves but so far no sign of flower buds.


Does anyone know what this volunteer plant is? We used to feed the birds in this area before moving their feeding station outside the garden fence so perhaps it's something that was in birdseed?

BreeBree doesn't have a clue.



And James Mason couldn't care less.



Had any foggy mornings in your garden lately?




 

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! We've been so dry and hot here in North Texas, but the forecast says that autumn weather is on the way next week along with some much needed rain. I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan, I am so ready for it here in Nashville too! And the last 3 days have finally felt like fall, hope it does there soon too!

      Delete
  2. oh ...all these gorgeous photos in fog - absolutely beautiful. I love fog and the minute the fog rolls in I'm out taking a photo. Funny thing today my photo was of a foggy scene in Cambria Ca. I wrote that it is my favorite photograph..at lease one of my favorites that i have in my files from preceding years. any way love your hard and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and one of my hobbies is taking photos of houses as I walk by - you can bet if you lived near me - you'd see me taking photos of your house, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet of you to say, Sandy! Oddly enough, people here are not fond of people taking pictures of their houses while walking past. Everyone has become so suspicious!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful garden stroll on a lovely foggy morning! When I wake up to a foggy morning (rare occasion here) I am always thrilled for some reason. Your garden makes me feel relaxed and happy. Love your cupola, but my favorite piece in your gardens is the lovebirds on the branch statue. That just tugs at my heart. Well, to me it's a pair of lovebirds, I suppose it could be a mother feeding her baby.

    Have a great weekend ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, those doves are a favorite of mine too! I think of them as lovebirds too.

      Delete
  5. OH! I can hardly look at the beautiful flowers with those little faces peering up at me!
    I couldn't believe my eyes. it all looks so lovely and cozy in the foggy morning mist. "since we moved here nearly three years ago."
    can it be true? you've been there THREE years already? I would never have said that. I don't know where the time is flying.
    but this is a wonderful post full of Home Hill Love. it makes me just happy to visit. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, it will be three years in early January. Can you believe it? Thank you for loving those little faces and always sending them hugs when you email!

      Delete
  6. I wish I could help you with that rogue plant Dewena, but I’m lucky if I know a begonia from a weeping willow tree.

    There’s something about fog that’s so alluring, isn’t there? I sort of expect Dracula to come walking through in all his finery and whisk me away to a dungeon. I don’t suppose that would last long after he realized what a pita I am.

    I can’t believe it’s been three years either! Would someone, ANYONE, PLEASE stop the clocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, how I loved the old black and white Dracula movies when I was a teenager! They were wonderful but I can't take the modern ones. Fog is so mysterious! And Dracula would definitely think you had a tender and juicy neck!

      Delete
  7. So happy that you grabbed your camera and captured these beautifully tranquil, early morning images from your little oasis, Dewena! I've learned that direct/strong sunlight is actually not the greatest condition for taking photos; cloudy days, believe it or not, are ideal!

    Those mystery leaves in front of your pretty zinnias looked familiar to me, so I went out to the patio and plucked one from a pot of lovelies to compare it to yours. My hunch was right! IF I am correct, you will be gifted with gorgeous lantana flowers, which do take some time to bloom. We had three planted by our landscape designer, when the house was completed, and this spring I bought another two pots for the patio and both are doing well. So, be patient, and please let me know what pops up!

    Thank you for taking us on your foggy morning tour of your charming garden; even your outdoor spaces are cozy!

    Happy weekend, my friend!
    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Poppy, it's just not that easy to identify that plant! We have a large lantana on the porch and its leaves are much shorter that the mystery plant's. I think I see a beginning flower bud forming on one stalk so maybe we'll have a better clue before frost arrives. But thank you for trying to figure it out for us!

      Delete
  8. Love these photos! The cupola in the fog makes the garden look so other worldly. The information about the colors in fog is interesting to know. I've often wondered why that happens, but am not scientific enough to even begin to figure it out! I'm not sure what the plant is. Enjoyed the garden tour, Dewena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, and oh how I'm loving the candles like the one you gave a link to! I think this company will be my go-to candle supplier from now on as the perfume is so subtle and non-irritating.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the garden tour. Your canna is huge! What color flowers does it have? Do you leave it in the pot and it comes up each spring? Or does it not ever really die? I would love to garden in your zone for a year or two, just to learn and see the difference.
    I will be planting tulips and crocus this week. I also will plant my garlic. I plant hardneck garlic here in Northwest Wisconsin. Oh, I would love to come over and talk Tennessee gardening with you. :-)
    Thank you again for the tour.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, the canna has normal red flowers and the hummingbirds love it. We got the huge bulb from Horn Canna Farm in OK. It's a family farm and we didn't even dig the bulb up and store it last fall but it came back beautifully again. I hope you got some of your bulbs planted this week! RH hasn't started ours and Scheepers hasn't shipped our order yet.

      Delete
  10. I don't usually notice this color effect in my own garden, but it's one reason I have always loved visiting towns on the north coast of California, Eureka and Crescent City, etc., because they often have fog and overcast days, and the garden flowers stand out brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is so beautiful, always! Gretchen, the other night I reread an old Christmas post of yours I printed out one time. All your children were home with you at the same time and when I read your post I felt it was exactly what Christmas should be all about.

      Delete
  11. Dewena, what a lovely tour. I have always loved, loved fog. In Va. where the land was flat, I was in my glory to see it rolling in across the fields. Your garden is so pretty and I do not know your mystery plant, although it does look quite familiar to me. I will think on it.
    We finally have a little rain today, hope you are seeing sings of autumn. Enjoy your foggy mornings. Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could identify it, Sandra! I do think it's trying to put on one flower bud so maybe that will help, if it happens!

      Delete
  12. Your garden is simply charming, Dewena. The fog gives it an ethereal quality. I'm still trying to figure out what grows here in our hot Texas weather. I do miss my garden. Thank you for sharing yours with us. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm sure you do miss your garden, even if you don't miss the cold weather in the winter. I miss your garden too!

      Delete
  13. Oh, I have enjoyed my stroll through your garden with you today. Lovely, lovely photos. Interesting that the fog enhances the colour. I don't know if I ever noticed that before, but I shall be on the look out now. Your two doggies look like such sweet treasures.

    Thank you for a beautiful post, Dewena. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead. Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! And my babies are sweet treasures! And they love their garden, it's like a big play pen for them.

      Delete
  14. Your foggy morning was beautiful, Dewena. I love the fog, it's so mysterious and pretty. Your Zinnias are wonderful, and such vibrant colors. I noticed your green chairs right away - those are cool. And I noticed the rocks, as I am a rock lover myself. The sundial is interesting and looks nice sitting there in your garden. And your doggies are always precious to see. Thanks for taking me along to your garden on this lovely foggy day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my green chairs, Sheri! I was very insistent about painting them this color, want to paint the black chair that too. I think my painter will get around to it sometime!

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful garden tour, Dewena, the fog really did intensify the colors. The zinnias are outstanding and I love your sundial. Summer makes me happy, outside with flowers blooming and patios ready for warm rest or quiet chat with friends...I can imagine lots of happy days spend out there. I bet fall will be colorful, too...and maybe foggy!! ;) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful foggy pictures. Your homespot is so beautiful. Not sure what that volunteer plant is-but it is lovely. Love those green chairs!
    Hope you have a great week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. A sand bath for the birds, What a great Idea. we have the air conditioner drain connected to the birdbath. so it is always fresh and full. Birds just love it. Wonder what kink of sand i should use.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We've had a few misty mornings recently …
    I certainly enjoyed the garden tour, your photographs were all lovely to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete