Sunday, July 5, 2020

Independence Day Thoughts, A Day Late


She's a Grand Old Flag and I painted her long ago in a primitive copycatting of Childe Hassam's Fifth Avenue flag painting. With no room now to store seasonal decorations other than Christmas things, it's one of the few Fourth of July decorations I still put out each year. I'll explain the hair scrunchies sitting in front of it soon.



 That little card of the Capitol building goes up each year. Will there ever be another year when the Capitol Fourth program on PBS is played to a live audience, do you think?



There always has to be flag bunting on the front porch. 



Back to the hair scrunchies. They are silk and I ordered them from Amazon recently to tame my long hairdo that still has not seen a hair salon in many months. Has yours?

If your hair is long enough to need scrunchies then I must tell you that I love these, two more not in the picture are ones currently in use. They're a little pricey so I don't toss these around like the old cotton ones I had before that had almost snatched me bald!

And snatching me bald leads me to a story of a scary event that happened in my 5th grade classroom, many decades ago. It was a day when our teacher literally snatched a pupil bald. 

I don't remember what the girl did to bring on our teacher's wrath but I vividly remember Mrs. _______ grabbing the girl by her hair, two seats in front of me. She pulled her hair so hard that the girl fell over on the floor, her desk following with a crash.

I'm talking about a heavy old fashioned wood desk, folks, the kind we had in the dark ages. It scared me to death! The girl was screaming and crying and our teacher continued to yell. She pointed her finger at the door and screamed for the girl to go to the office and then she sat the desk back up, a hank of hair clutched in her fist.

You could have heard a pin drop.

The girl never returned to school and guess what? Our teacher never returned either. Word on the playground the next day was that our teacher had been sent to Central State, which everyone knew was the looney bin.

We were anything but politically correct kids back in the 1950s and in those days no one wanted to be sent there.

Why am I telling you this story? Because I wondered as I thought about this post if what really happened was that our teacher was just sent to another school. I know we have teacher's unions that protect teachers' jobs now, police unions that protect their members' jobs, and so forth. 

Is that why few are held accountable now? I know that unions were formed for a very good reason, to protect employees from employers' unreasonable treatment. And yet I wonder how different things would be if unions also policed their own?

If teacher's unions got rid of bad teachers, if police unions got rid of bad policemen and women, if the Catholic church had gotten rid of bad priests instead of shuffling them around...

Please notice that the last thing I'm stupidly advocating is getting rid of good teachers, good policemen, good priests. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is if we all policed ourselves, what a different world we would live in.

Then I remind myself how difficult it is to police myself. Like, was it really necessary for me to eat the small slivers of this meringue, topped by juicy organic strawberries, and that topped by sugared whipped cream everyday until the last morsel was gone? 






Of course not. But it was so good.

Meringue:
Turn oven to 270 degrees. Butter a 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Sprinkle with sugar. Beat six egg whites until soft peaks form, adding 1/4th teaspoon of salt and 1/4th teaspoon of cream of tartar. 

Gradually beat in 1 cup of sugar until stiff. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Slowly stir in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. 

Spread in pie plate. Bake in 270 degree oven until light brown (I left mine in a tad too long), 1 to 1/2 hours, not opening oven door. Turn oven off and leave in oven for one hour, still not opening door. 

13 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Independence Day, Dewena! We had a quiet Canada Day celebration here, too. In fact, we traveled that day, to see my parents for the first time since Christmas.
    Yes, if we would only police ourselves a little more - and if people could be held accountable for their actions when the actions are smaller rather than waiting until things escalate into horror and tragedy.
    The meringue looks delicious. I love sweet crispy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo happy that you put up a Belated 4th of July post!

    I admit, I was saddened by those, who did not "say anything" on the 4th of July. It seemed, to my frazzled mind, that ordinary people were afraid to post, about The 4th of July. And that was...... Well, it was more than scary. It was petrifying, to me.

    But you are not the only one, who has now, put up 4th of July posts!!!!!!! I am sooooo happppy!!!!!!

    Ahhhh yes, what a wonderful musing you have done, although prompted by an _awful_ memory. -Shaking my head- Wow! What a memory!

    Yes, if "the bad apples" were routed out, by their own.... What a wonderful thing that would be.

    Your hair has gotten that long? -smile- Bet it grows fast, which mine does not. But even mine, was getting to me!!! Eeeeek! It was way too long. It dragged my face down. Could not pull it back with a scrunchy though.

    We were very happy to be able to go to our usual hair dresser!!!! I may be sorry, but I went _short_. Perhaps should have just kept bangs and short bob. But I wanted to have wind blow it, and not have to worry about it. -smile-

    And... As I always say... Hair grows!!!!

    Oh and love your bunting!!! We don't have any place for it, and I am so sorry.

    Hugs... 💚

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th Dewena glad you had a nice weekend. Love these long holiday weekends. The pie looks yummy. Have a great week ahead.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGOSH! that beautiful merengue and strawberry desert! heaven!
    but how is it that you don't have diabetes? 1 whole cup of sugar!
    I can only dream of that kind of thing now. and being allergice to all artificial sweetners I just have to abstain. but I LOVE hearing about them and the delight of how they must taste!

    as to your question... YES. if we would all just answer to what we know is correct. that poor girl. what she must have gone through!
    how it must have affected her for the rest of her life really!
    I so hope that teacher didn't go to another school.
    I still can picture Mrs McKinley looming over me at the chalkboard in Colorado. I was 7 years old. she had a ruler in her hand and was hitting me in the back of the legs with it because I couldn't 'get' the answer to a problem on the board. she had told the entire class they couldn't go to recess until I got the answer. I was humiliated before all those kids that I didn't even really know yet!
    I was NEW in that school. I knew no one. they all groaned and I knew they must HATE ME! but I had drawn the most incredible blank.
    the angry 'Mrs McKinleys' of the world have no business teaching.

    I couldn't have come up with a right answer if my life depended on it. Mrs McKinley is no doubt why I'm afraid of anything to do with MATH today! I've remembered her treatment of me my whole life.
    but I never told my parents. I didn't want them to think I was being a problem in the new school! kids are strange. what they keep to themselves.
    wow. maybe shouldn't have left all that here. but it's a good thing to watch our children to see if they're living with something they shouldn't have to. xoxo
    and I LOVE your wonderfully American decor! it warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss your blogging so I enjoy reading you when you comment at places i see. I need to email u and find out how you are doing in your new place.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing the school memory. WOW! I would have been so scared of that teacher. I agree with you about the unions as well.
    Praying for our nation with you.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dewena, Happy belated 4th to you and yours. Dewena, you are not the only one who has not seen their hairdresser for months. But, my hair is not long enough to pull back - I so wish it was.
    It would be wonderful if we could police ourselves a little at least. I probably wouldn't be too successful. I spent the last 4 years of my career in the school in the Dept. of Human Resources, so I know too well the unfortunate things that occur. It is sad really to see careers destroyed.
    Thanks so much for the recipe and for the chicken recipe from your last post. I read it and copied it, but failed to comment and thank you properly.
    Have a happy July, Dewena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Independence Day to you and yours Dewena! My last hair cut was in Glasgow, Scotland in May 2019; my hair is past my shoulders now and I don't know that I'll ever bother getting it cut again. Mostly, I wear it in a French twist, stuck in place with a lobster claw clip and it suits, at least for now.
    As to being held accountable...Ecclesiastes 8:11 tells us: "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."
    I've yet to comprehend why government employees have unions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the product of a Catholic school upbringing from first grade to College.... I can remember ONE incident... my cousin, a grade behind me, actually had her palm slapped with a ruler. Her dad (a fire chief) appeared at the school the next morning IN UNIFORM, walked into her classroom, up to the nun, and informed her it had better never happen again! I was aghast that my uncle was so brave! And no, we never heard of anything untowards going on in our parish all those years ago, or now. I had a very, very quiet Independence Day here alone with the dogs, just like I like it. There were a lot of fireworks at night, but I believe people were working off the last four months. There were VERY few last night, when it was still legal here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That poor girl! I wonder if she developed a fear of teachers, in general, or had heart racing nightmares of her hair being yanked out of her head by hateful, feminine monsters for the rest of her life!

    Yes, if we could all police ourselves in our professional and our personal lives, the world, would, not doubt be a safer, better place!

    But, your own recent experience, in trying to do so, clearly proves that such a task can be challenging, doesn't it? And yours was simply an exercise in willpower - imagine the seriousness of those having to do with law enforcement?

    In your harmless case, I'm glad you gave in to your sweet tooth, Dewena, since we were able to get a little taste of your delectable creation, albeit, from your description and those pics!

    As for me, I probably would have 'trespassed' Home Hill, swung open that gorgeous, olive green front door of yours, and grabbed myself a piece of that scrumptious strawberry pie! Lock me up, it would have been worth it!;))

    Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you believe I don't have any Fourth of July decorations at all? I have gotten rid of so much holiday decor (and still need to get rid of more), that all I have is Christmas and a little bit of Easter.

    I don't have any good answers to your questions but I agree it's hard enough policing ourselves!

    When I was in 8th grade and we lived in KY, I got paddled with a wooden board for talking to the girl next to me when the teacher left the room. It was painful and very humiliating. My father was furious was he found out. He called the principal and said, "If you ever touch my daughter again, I will come down there and you will have hell to pay!" I think that was the one and only time my dad ever stuck up for me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it WAS totally necessary that you eat all that. Yes for sure. The story you told about the teacher - wow, that girl and all the kids must have been traumatized by seeing that. I went to Catholic School until I was 10 when we moved to california from Kansas. The nuns were mean in my memory ...I didn't like them. My friend and I were suppose to be cleaning blackboards and instead we took the erasers out to the long hallway and would slide them along the slick waxed floors (this was an inside old type school building). So, yes we were caught and this nun was so mean (probably as an adult it wouldn't feel that way now) and although she didn't touch us, we were disciiplined and sent to the principle's office. I love your flag painting and it's always a feel good trip here to read you... Yes I need scrunchies at times and i just get the cheap ones... ouch.

    ReplyDelete