Thursday, February 4, 2021

Even an outbuilding should be pretty, right?

 

 

Back in April I showed you two Pinterest pictures that I'd given RH when he started building his new carport and workshop. If it was going to take up so much visual space viewed from my kitchen window then it needed to be pretty, and I taped the picture below up on a kitchen cupboard to show him the kind of scalloped trim I wanted put on the front.

 


 And he and his brother did it! Doesn't it make a big difference?


The second Pinterest picture I showed him was to remind him that I wanted wide trim on the windows and doors and a big green enamel barn light fixture.


We found the green barn light at Overstock and RH was careful to put wide trim on all the doors and windows. 


Nancy from Joyful Cottage told me that the Swedish Red that I wanted for the paint was actually Falu Red and expensive but that Benjamin Moore's Heritage Red was a good match. 


We had it all professionally painted. RH loves building projects but hates painting. We chose Benjamin Moore's Heritage Red and Simply White for the trim, and Behr's Eastern Bamboo for the doors. The roof is Timberline green dimensional shingles. The building is made of Hardie board. [The neighbor behind the building is the one who shares all his garden bounty with us in the summer.]



Inside the workshop the walls have been insulated and installed but when a friend gets time in his schedule he'll help RH drywall the ceiling. 


And there are cabinets and worktables to be built but eventually it will become a true workshop. Work goes slow but it is getting done. And we have space in it for a second fridge!


This next picture shows part of the old small three-bay barn that is the only storage RH has here as there was no garage or basement. The two outer bays really need to be torn down but we want to save the taller middle part. 

There's enough work to be done for a long time but at least now we have a covered place to park our vehicles and a guy place to escape from the house for all his projects.



 

One reason I was drawn to Swedish Red houses is that under the vinyl siding of our 1935 cottage is red clapboard! Wouldn't restoring that be a good project for RH to tackle next? 

I hear him saying "What?" I don't think it's going to happen but at least my wish came true, the one where I asked him--"If we have to have a building stuck out behind the garden can't it at least be pretty?"


 If I told you how old RH is he would kill me but take my word for it, that this man and his older brother have built this still amazes me. He does not know the meaning of retirement. In short, he is a keeper!

Everyone who left a comment on my previous post was so sweet that I realized how much I missed them and decided to try to keep comments open here. I'll do my best not to get behind and drop out again. I mean, you simply are the nicest people, whether you ever comment or not. Thank you!

 

12 comments:

  1. Yay for comments! Your new carport/shop is so pretty! What a beautiful view to look at from your window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I love the colors and the barn light fixtures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I love the red color and the green accents with the light fixture and door. Bravo they did a great job. Love that we can leave you comments again. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, happy day! I am thrilled to be able to comment once again. Now, I will tell you your hubby's workshop and carport are grand. And you did an outstanding job selecting the trim, paint colors and the great light. Hubby did an amazing job building. He will so enjoy his new space. Have a wonderful weekend, hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trim is very nice, Dewena. And I like the red you chose for the workshop. We have lots of snow right now, and everyone here in the mountains parks their cars in front of the houses, as it's easier to get out. If I park the car in my garage, there is more area of shoveling to do haha. Behr paint is always so pretty. I like the white trim on the workshop too. They did a nice job on it all.

    I hope you have wonderful February days, Dewena.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful Dewena.
    We have been using Benjamin Moore paint with our inside projects. We are pleased with Benjamin Moore, it is our first time using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What style! Your Pinterest photos come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you turned on commenting again.

    This outbuilding is gorgeous. I love the red, the trim and the green light. And to know that RH and his brother did all the work, too makes it even more fabulous. They remind me of my grandpa who built everything by hand, too, including a small house when he was in his 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How perfectly do your chosen colours mimic your inspirational ones!! You all did such an amazing job on this project still in progress (although I'm sure you're quite psyched that your part is completed and you can get lost in all the beauty as you wash dishes!).

    The insulated interior, big enough for a second fridge (yay!), will definitely be for RH what your bedroom is for you - a retreat to create! This is a pretty and practical win-win situation! Kudos to the crew! Now, YOU can upload THESE pics for other folks to be inspired, too!!

    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing is the right word -- how striking! and what an accomplishment for the "old guys"!! wow wow wow . I never would have chosen those colors, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "In short, he is a keeper!" YES! he is.
    and it's beautiful! it's cheery and well... just wonderful. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comments! Wonderful! And such a brilliant job by your keeper, it looks beautiful and the color is exactly the same.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete