Friday, December 16, 2022

Coconut Cake, Top of the List, Almost

 

No, we haven't had snow yet. I made this coconut cake when we had a beautiful snowfall on January 3, 2022 because it just didn't get made before Christmas of 2021.

But I'm thinking back to November of 2020--you remember that year, don't you? The year the world shut down and many of us had Thanksgiving in our house, alone?

That November I started watching every new Hallmark Christmas movie premier. Religiously. It had been that kind of a year.

 

I even kept a pen and notebook nearby and titled a list--"What Hallmark Movies Taught Me About Christmas."

Top of the list was...Baking is good!

Fruitcake is top of my baking list (my White Fruitcake with no citron posted here "Stir Up Sunday") 

Coconut Cake is not far behind. 


 One of my favorite childhood Christmas memories is of Mama making her Coconut Cake with lemon filling on Christmas Eve and it being refrigerated overnight and eaten cold on Christmas Day.

It was a serious project requiring Daddy's help in poking an ice pick into the eyes of the fresh coconut to save the coconut water to pour over the warm cake layers, tediously removing the shell from the meat, and finally grating the coconut meat, sometimes resulting in scraped knuckles. 


 

It was a cake straight from heaven!


Foolishly neglecting to secure Mama's recipe before she left us for her heavenly home, I've tried several recipes. One was very good and also very time consuming:

See my post Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Meal here!

I finally found a recipe that was very close to Mama's in Eugene Walters, American Cooking: Southern Style, a Time Life book and a fascinating history of Southern cooking.

I have four cookbooks from the Alabama author, who I "met" through Pat Conroy's cookbook. He taught me never to use the black dust that you put in salt and pepper shakers, that the essential oils in peppercorns help with digestion when freshly ground. Although RH still demands his black dust.


I wish I could link to Mr. Walter's recipe for Coconut Cake with Lemon Filling but it's not online. I will link to a recipe I substituted for his frosting recipe that required me to boil to 239 degrees. I found one at addapinch.com. It was delicious even though not like Mama's. Maybe hers was whipped cream based?  But I did make Eugene's recipe for cake instead of the one at add a pinch--those 8 eggs separated won me over--and I am going to put his recipe for lemon filling at the bottom of the post because it's become my foolproof go-to recipe for that. 

 

Full Disclaimer: I did not buy a fresh coconut and poke out his eyes! Despite using Baker's coconut flakes the frosting was excellent. It was one of those times when we didn't see any family to share my baking with so eventually the remains went to the birds. 

 

Take my word for it, RH had hardly turned around and all our resident crows and bluejays were fighting over their dessert of the day. 

Eugene Walters Lemon Filling:

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch bits

2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon peel

2/3 cup strained fresh lemon juice [I did not strain it]

1 cup water

Combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and 2 beaten eggs in a heavy 2 quart saucepan and mix well with a wire whisk or wooden spoon. Stir in the butter bits, lemon peel, lemon juice, and water. When all ingredients are well blended, set pan over high heat.

Stirring the filling mixture constantly, bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low and continue to stir until the filling is smooth and thick enough to coat the spoon heavily. Scrape the filling into a bowl with a spatula, and let it cool to room temperature.

What's top of your baking list for Christmas?

 


 

 

 




 


11 comments:

  1. My husband's grandmother made the best coconut cake-very much like yours except that the filling was vanilla instead of lemon. It had to sit overnight so that the cake would soak up all the moisture from the custard the coconut milk she poured over it before she frosted it. Hers had boiled icing too. I never got the recipe-wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had that recipe, Jan. I'm still hoping to duplicate my mom's!

      Delete
  2. Now that is a beautiful cake! I think it would be good for Easter, too. I just started my Christmas baking today - "snowball" cookies. The recipe called for dark rum and I didn't have any, so subbed brandy. Hope they will turn out ok. The dough is chilling in the fridge right now. I also want to make another kind of cookie (not sure what kind just yet) and my grandma's cranberry cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snowball cookies but have never made them myself! I hope you make your grandma's cranberry cake and share it. I love anything with cranberries in it!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful cake, perfect for a snowy day, or a day when one wishes for snow. And what a lot of work it was back in the day when your parents began with a fresh coconut! A team effort, for sure! I'd be hard pressed to decide what's at the top of my baking list - cranberry orange shortbread is what I made today, and rugelach dough is chilling in the fridge for tomorrow. I made peppermint bar for my husband (I like it, too, but he always asks for it first). Rum balls are something I've begun making with my daughter, from a recipe she got from her mother-in-law. Recipes go round and round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! I know I would love all of your Christmas baking. I can see them being handed down by your grandchildren and I love your thought of recipes going round and round.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure the birds thought they'd died and gone to heaven when they saw that lovely piece of cake! What a beautiful cake for winter. Mostly I bake cookies for Christmas -- Russian tea cakes, thumbprints, spritz cookies, and shortbread. On Christmas eve I'll make stollen, a tradition for our Christmas morning breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I had to look up Russian tea cakes to see what they looked like. They look like Mexican wedding cookies but smaller. I'm curious now to compare the ingredients in both.

      Stollen! RH loves that but he's always just bought grocery store stollen and I've been turned off by the chemically taste to it. I've had a recipe for it in my Christmas baking file for years, even bought the ingredients last year but never did it. RH would love for me to make on. I imagine I would need to start right after breakfast to accomplish that but maybe this year! Your family has some fine Christmas baking to enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, Dewena! Your Coconut Cake looks and sounds absolutely scrumptious - and very professional, custom made to purposefully look homemade! The recipe for the lemon filling also sounds delicious; coconut and lemon are a perfect combo! I wish I had a piece (or two!) for my late afternoon coffee break, in between lessons, when I really need that 'pick me up' punch to get me through those grueling grammar points!

    I have not had any spare time to bake this year, as you know. I will miss baking up batches of our traditonal Christmas cutouts with Liberty, as we have been doing for the past 20 years. That does not mean that I have not had my share of Greek Christmas treats, as I have been gifted boxes of them, as well as purchasing some on my own, for the past month!

    Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos and sweet story behind your mom's Coconut cake.

    Happy Holidays, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I remember early on in our meeting that we both loved lemon desserts. I miss you doing your Christmas baking and receiving emails with pictures of it all due to your current busy schedule. Maybe your break from doing it all this year will be extra special next year when you hope to have more time. And it was time to enjoy the baking of others for a change. That's kind of what I'll be doing this year, enjoying treats from others because this ongoing back pain is keeping me from the baking I had planned. Regardless of whether we bake or not, we'll still be celebrating the birth of the Babe in Bethlehem. Love to you!

      Delete
  6. I love to make cookies, cookies, cookies, at Christmas.... but I'm afraid that tradition is becoming obsolete, because of not working with my new lifestyle that has developed in the last ten years. This year, I am still catching up on Christmas here on the 19th of January, and saw your post for the first time. I only made one kind of cookie this year, and it was after Christmas, in January, and a new kind. Maybe I will put the recipe on my blog next Christmas when someone else might like to try them.

    I don't think I've ever made a coconut cake at any time of the year; yours looks very Christmasy! My husband's family as a boy used to serve some kind of coconut-coated ice cream goodies at Christmas, called snowballs. Happy New Year, Dewena!

    ReplyDelete