Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Books and Baking

 

Hello dear friends and family! This blog post was meant for early March when hyacinths were in bloom in our garden but March slipped by and then I hoped to publish it near Easter.

Then my old Mac aged out and I've been fumbling around on the new one. Finally my priorities changed when we expected a visit from our two charming granddaughters and their parents. The girls took this selfie on my phone when they were here and left it to surprise me--see why my priorities changed! Can you blame me?


 But waste not, want not, so here goes with one book and the other two will be covered at Across the Way. I'll try linking to it, here. If it doesn't work I'll try to correct it after both posts publish.


 Confessions of a Closet Master Baker, One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker is by Gesine Bullock-Prado. And yes, she is the sister of Sandra Bullock.


 I enjoyed this account of how Gesine went from being a lawyer to Hollywood executive to owner/baker of Gesine's Confectionary in Montpelier, Vermont. 

It was interesting learning a little background of the sisters' family life with their father and opera singer mother.

I enjoyed learning about the life she shares with her husband who illustrated her book. 

 

Since our grandson Drake and his wife Emily have been  sharing eggs with us from their olive egger hens this spring, it was the perfect time to try Gesine's recipe for Golden Eggs. One morning I set out the eggs and gathered my ingredients. 

 


By mid-morning the scent of freshly grated nutmeg and vanilla was in the air. That's the last little bit of vanilla I made in a bottle of cognac last spring so I hope it lasts until the new bottle ages for six weeks.

What makes the cupcakes extra special is that you dip them in melted butter and then roll them in cinnamon-sugar. So scrumptious and they make a nice Easter treat.

Here's a link to Gesine showing how to make her Golden Eggs on YouTube.  Gesine's are prettier than mine but I don't believe hers could taste any better than these. 

I sent this dozen to son Zack's crew at the job, froze 4, gave 2 more away, and that left 6 for RH and me. 

Thank you to Drake and Emily for being so generous with these eggs. Here's a picture of them and our two precious great-grandchildren!

 

I also made a huge bowl of potato salad with a dozen of these eggs and it was a beautiful color with all of those orange yolks. I shared big jars of that with family too. 

Thank you for reading. Please hug your children or grandchildren tight and tell your loved ones you love them every chance you get. If you're from the Nashville area you're even more aware of the importance of that ever since the morning of March 27, 2023. 

I listen to the Sunday services from the Covenant Presbyterian Church have felt so heartbroken for the tragedy and loss affecting the church and school family as well as all of Nashville. 

I admit I've felt hopeless about anything ever changing to prevent more children from being slaughtered in mass school shootings in the United States of America. But with thousands of students here in Nashville and across the states protesting--future voters--some day this may stop. 

I pray so.
 


Playing poker with PawPaw and making sure he doesn't cheat.

15 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be given farm fresh eggs! Your baked goods sound and look delicious. And I love a good potato salad.

    You have an absolutely beautiful family and are very blessed to have grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

    These school shootings should not be happening - ever. So horrific, I have no words. Parents should not live in fear of sending their children to school; teachers should not live in fear of protecting the children they teach from gun violence; children should not live in fear that their classroom is not a safe place to be. I've heard more and more people saying they're going to start homeschooling due to more and more school shootings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Melanie, especially when you consider how much eggs cost at the grocer's now! Drake was over yesterday afternoon and said he'd bring some more eggs today. And yes, we are blessed to have these grandchildren and four great-grandkids. I hope as they and their children and grandchildren go to school that something will be done to make them safer.I can't bear to think that it won't.

      Delete
  2. Well, I first smiled at the Kerrygold Irish butter, as I get that at the store from time to time. Isn't it tasty? Interesting master baker book, and the sister being Sandra Bullock. I've always liked her as an actress. Dewena, I love that butter pot that you put the eggs in. It's so charming, and the blue is pretty. So nice of Drake to bring you all those eggs. My sister used to have hens in her back yard, and she would have fresh eggs all the time. Your cupcakes rolled in cinnamon and sugar look Yummy. That is so tragic about what happened in Nashville. I'm so sorry to hear about it, and I have another blog friend who is from Nashville as well. Those granddaughters of yours are just precious, and it makes me smile when you share pictures of them. So good of them to leave a selfie on your phone and surprise you with it. I will see my grandgirls next month for Mother's Day. They warm our hearts, don't they? The photo of PawPaw with the kids is a treasure.

    I hope you have wonderful Spring days, Dewena. It seems to have arrived here, as we've had some sunny days. Take care, and keep baking. Your goodies are scrumptious.

    ~Sheri

    ps.....so glad to hear you love potato salad too. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, yes it is tasty! Both their salted and unsalted has spoiled us for any other butter. I like Sandra Bullock too, both for her work and what I know of her personally. I'm glad you noticed the butter pot. I have a collection of blue spongeware that sits on top of an armoire and I never think to get it down and use it. We had hens at our old house and enjoyed them so much, they followed us around everywhere.
      I'm so glad you'll see your precious granddaughters for Mother's Day soon! They are darling!

      Delete
  3. Those two smiling faces on your phone probably made your day when you found them. How fun to enjoy their company (and their parents) for a few days.
    The olive eggs are so pretty. I will look up that recipe on Youtube. The book title sounds like fun. Executive to bakery owner is quite a switch. I've always enjoyed Sandra Bullock and it would be so interesting to read more about her life and that of her sister's.
    Potato salad? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorrie, she also has another book My Life from scratch, dedicated to her mother, that I would like to read as well as several cookbooks including one called Bake Like You Mean It. Doesn't that sound tempting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful post, Dewena. Everything from the book titles to those gorgeous olive eggs and the cupcakes dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar. Not to forget those darling faces you found on your phone. Oh, I love potato salad. Sending heart hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! Especially for "those darling faces" I found on my phone! And potato salad has got to be a perfect meal--vegetables (all the onions, celery, potatoes) and protein (eggs), good fats (olive oil), apple cider vinegar and herbs. We won't talk about the mayo!

      Delete
  6. Although nothing could be sweeter than those two cutie patootie princesses of yours, I'm sure that your vanilla cupcakes dipped in that buttery, delicious cinnamon sugar topping come close! They look scrumptious, Dewena! How kind and thoughtful of your grandson, Drake and his wife, Emily to share those beautiful eggs with you and RH. I love the colours; they almost look like porcelain - probably due to the talents of the food stylist and photographer!

    I also love the title of Gesine's book. I clicked on the link to her video and found her to be very easy going, down-to-earth and relatable - no wonder she felt out of place in Hollywood! How wonderful that her husband illustrated her book. I think I would really enjoy this read, as I love biographies, especially when they're cozy stories about corporate executives becoming 'contented country bakers'!

    As far as Paw-Paw's 'potential' cheating is concerned, I 'bet' the Princesses have that under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so much fun with him, Poppy! He keeps them giggling accusing them of cheating when actually he's the one trying to do it--and they love it!

      I want to make other of Gesine's recipes soon. And we just got another 2 dozen of Drake and Emily's hens' gifts so baking time may happen soon.

      Delete
  7. Just the picture of your butter and eggs and a vintage crock -- so homey! -- inspires me to get busy in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Gretchen! I know you have so many favorite baking recipes in your repertoire!

      Delete
  8. Hello sweet friend. I have not been getting notified when you post so I am so sorry I am late to your blog posts. Love seeing your grands. How adorable. Those eggs are yummy and all your recipes. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Kris! I'm sorry about losing the email notifications when Google stopped doing it. I keep meaning to try to find another way to let readers know. I must ask some of my other Blogger friends how they handle it now.
      My grands have grown as I know yours have!

      Delete