Sunday, March 15, 2015

An Irish Blessing



May those who love us, love us,

And for those who don't love us,

May God turn their hearts;

And if He can't turn their hearts,

May He turn their ankles,

So we will know them by their limping.


This Irish Blessing came in my email on St. Patrick's Day of 2003 from P.J. Hamel, editor of The Baker's Catalog. 

It is difficult to know who the enemy is. I don't think I consider a particular group of people as being my enemy when my greatest enemy is most often myself.

One thing I do know. My enemy is someone who would purposely hurt me or mine--whatever race, gender, or creed he or she happens to be.

I dislike mean people, period. 

I remember being in Wild Oats soon after 9/11 and seeing a tall fellow shopper, everything but her eyes and hands covered by a black headdress and robe. She was holding the hand of a cute little toddler. He was darling in a Tennessee Titans blue football shirt. 

I was certainly not afraid of her. On the contrary, I smiled at her and her eyes crinkled up at the corners as she looked back at me. We both looked down at her little boy, bouncing along in his tennis shoes. 

The only things I am still afraid of in the supermarkets here, thankfully, are purse snatchers and the Moosetracks ice cream that emits a siren call.

But as far as purse snatchers and terrorists go, well, it would be nice if God turned a few ankles. 



10 comments:

  1. Agreed! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewena, how intriguing this blessing is. I completely agree with you - I tend to be my own worst enemy, too, and perhaps if I could turn off that 'voice', instead of turning my ankles, (too painful a punishment for this Pisces), I just might become my best friend!

    Thanks for sharing this little taste of Ireland with us. It's been quite an appetizing first course!

    xoxo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look for the limbers...and stay away from them. If it were only that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chuckle. In my experience, unforgiveness turns peoples ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the picture.
    so vivid and compelling.
    I can even smell it!
    the damp moss. the greenness of it. so very beautiful.
    and the thoughts of your kind face in the market smiling at the lady in the veil.
    don't you know it took courage of a certain kind for her to venture out that day with her little son in tow. and you honored that courage with your smile.
    I love the irish! that toast is irish to the core! LOLOLOL.
    and I loved this post. you say so much with so few words. it's a GIFT.
    xoxo♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on that last part, Dewena! And, I love your smile to that mother. Happy St. Patty's Day to you! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yes, purse snatchers scare me too, Dewena, especially when I'm visiting the big cities. You just never know, huh?

    Happy St. Patrick's Day, dear. My kids are part Irish on their father's side, and I was married by a jolly Catholic Irish Priest haha.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. How true, Dewena!

    When I read the Irish Blessing, I didn't think about purse snatchers or terrorists. I thought about my own dear beloved relatives :) Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this! You're right, it would be nice if the ankles turned on the people we needed to be wary of! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that blessing, and I'm with you that a few ankles could use some turning.

    ReplyDelete