Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April Freeze & Edna St. Vincent Millay




An April freeze forecast
had me busy cutting flowers for the house.



The poet's flower above made me think
of lovely verses by Edna St. Vincent Millay.



"Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!"
"Second Fig" by Edna St. Vincent Millay




I always hesitate to cut flowers as they fade so quickly
but the Sir Winston Churchill buds above
will most likely freeze to mush outside.
Brought inside, this most fragrant of all the Narcissus
in our garden will perfume the rooms intensely. 


"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light."
"First Fig" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

And just because these lines are lovely also:

"And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear, 
From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
And the sun rose dripping, a basketful of gold."
"Recuerdo" by Edna St. Vincent Millay