Saturday, April 11, 2020

Embracing Slow


The Today Show featured one of my favorite books the other day, Carl Honoré's In Praise of Slowness (Challenging the Cult of Speed), published in 2004. 

I bought it years ago because I am a fan of slow, being naturally of that persuasion myself.

Honoré, born in the UK but now a citizen of Canada, writes about our frantically busy civilization:

Why are we always in such a rush?


We have forgotten how to look forward to things, and how to enjoy the moment when they arrive. 


Long hours on the job are making us unproductive, error-prone, unhappy and ill.


In 1982 Larry Dossey, an American physician, coined the term "time-sickness" to describe the obsessive belief that "time is getting away, that there isn't enough of it, and that you must pedal faster and faster to keep up." These days the whole world is time-sick.


That was in 1982.

I wonder if the whole world is time-sick now? Certainly our health care workers and first responders must be. But for many of us, our neighbors and ourselves, we're no longer in a rush, are we?


For those of us who can stay home and are staying home, time has slowed down and given us time to enjoy the signs of Spring from our own window and yard. Time to appreciate the smallest signs of nature's rebirth. 





I'm very thankful that last November RH took a day to plant bulbs on this old farm property that only had a few clumps of yellow daffodils. He planted hundreds and yet they seem so sparse now, little clumps compared to the decades of bulbs planted at our old house.



It will take time to grow a Spring garden such as we had at Valley View where bulbs and violets were tucked around interesting shrubs and mossy rocks...



Not stuck out in the middle of grass they way they are here.



RH has planted seven flowering trees in our front yard in the three years we've lived here at Home Hill. This year we're seeing flowers on them but nothing compared to what they'll be someday similar to those in the twenty-six years we were at our old house.

Time. No longer guaranteed to any of us. And never really was, was it?



This past month we've treasured the few blooms we've cut and brought inside.



I need them in little vases in my rooms.




Even though they fade more quickly than when left outside. 



 I need them at the dining table.


And I need a few sprigs from the sparsely flowered lilac tree outside my office window where the mockingbird perches.


And I try to remember to pound the wood stalk so it will absorb water and not wilt quickly.



For many people these weeks at home have been a time of accomplishing projects in the house and garden. 

Our daughter-in-law who is a licensed medical aesthetician has of course had to close her business due to the pandemic and is at home enjoying her passion for gardening. Below is a picture of my new garden dachshund from this daughter-in-law who loves garden art as much as I do.




But her husband, our son who has run the family construction business since RH semi-retired in 2016, still works every day on houses that were heavily damaged in the tornado that struck Nashville and surrounding counties only a couple of weeks before the whole world was brought to a stop.

And so RH works with him and does our grocery store and pharmacy errands and tries to be as careful as he can. What he does not have time to do now is work on projects like finishing the front sidewalk and beds around it that he began late last summer.




Nor does he have time to work much on his huge project in the back yard, the double carport and large workshop that he and his brother have worked on all winter long. Now his brother is home being careful himself.

 
Did you notice the pretty scalloped trim on the front of the carport that my brother-in-law copied from a picture I gave him from Pinterest?




 See the beautiful light fixtures in this picture...



There's a large hunter green one like them in a box under my dining table awaiting the day that electrical is finished and the Hardie plank siding is painted.

When there is time. 

I printed out pictures of the pretty Swedish Red buildings I love from my Pinterest board and put them up in the kitchen when I realized that this building was going to be in my view from the kitchen window. 

And if it was, then by golly it was going to be pretty! And so RH plans to trim out all the windows and doors of the workshop in crisp white against the Swedish red and add a small sitting area by it to look out over the pond.

All of which will take time. 

Meanwhile RH has two and a half acres of grass to mow on his days off and yesterday began some patio garden cleanup. 

I looked out and saw him taking a little snooze in the sun and thought he would be the perfect prop for Carl Honoré's In Praise of Slowness. 


We have lost the art of doing nothing, of shutting out the background noise and distractions, of slowing down and simply being alone with our thoughts.

For those of you who have contemplated slowing down your world after it returns to normal, I can highly recommend this book. Mine is full of highlighted sections, much of which introduced me to the Slow Food movement back when I first bought it.

As you probably know, the Slow Food movement and even the fascinating Slow Cities movement began in Italy, and as I reread portions of this book this week my heart hurt for the Italian people who began this movement and live by it so much more naturally than we here in my country do.

But I choose to believe that there will be good things to come out of this time, all around the world, and embracing slow might be one result.

Especially as it might relate to our children and grandchildren and their future world. The last chapter of In Praise of Slowness (Challenging the Cult of Speed) is titled:

"Raising an Unhurried Child"

One can only hope.

How are you and your family doing now?

I do so hope that all of you are well.  


    

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the book, Dewena. I've thought about what will happen when we go back to 'normal' and fear that I will be caught up in the rush again. How do I work to maintain this easy pace that I've come to love. I need to find that book. My husband is building a workshop, too, and I've asked for a small sitting area in the front, and can't wait to put Christmas lights on it this year. I have no interest in taking over the inside for a she shed, as many have suggested. But the outside will be a large part of my view in the backyard, and like you I can't resist dressing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post.
    it's an important message! and maybe with all the sheltering in place that's going on... people will think about it seriously.
    I have always loved the lowly Sloth. ever since I watched a wonderful documentary on them! they smile. and they move SO SLOWLY. and they're peaceful.
    I had a co-worker once who was hyper. she never had enough time.
    and she was raising her children to be just like her. her youngest little boy finally burst into tears... "MOM! just once could we just stay HOME?" she told all of us in the office about it and laughed. I wonder if she ever really slowed down? it was a cry for help from him. and she didn't even get it!
    the pictures are all wonderful. but the last two...
    they're ADORABLE!!! LOL! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great topic for a post. I'm a fast-walker, talker, mover . . . I always seem to be in a hurry, but I'm not really sure why. The last few weeks have been hard for me, but after a taste of "slowness" and meaningful downtime, it is starting to sink in. I think taking things slow and appreciating them is a learned lesson. I'll have to look for this book. Thanks for the encouragement and Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book to read especially with what we are all living through. Love the trim your BIL put on the car port. So awesome. Have a great weekend and wonderful Easter. Hugs from Buddy to Bree and James Mason.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are doing well here in Iowa. Our county remains virus free as of today, April 11. My husband Mike does the grocery shopping during "senior hour" at our local HyVee store. He also does mowing at our local public golf course. I am content to stay at home maintaining social distance. Actually, that is what I normally do with a few exceptions. I have found that doing crossword puzzles is a great way to take ones mind off of unpleasant news. We planted tulip bulbs for the first time last fall, so we have enjoyed watching them come up. I love a slow life, so this time suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear husband and I have more or less always lived a slow life. We did not want to get caught up in the frenzy of having more, more and more. I'm still living a slow life by myself. I do miss being with my church family and small ladies group each week. Something to look forward to when this is a thing of the past. I miss grocery shopping when I want to. I have a younger friend who goes once a week and will pick up what I need. That is a huge blessing for me. She does not want me going out. Love that photo of RH.

    Stay safe, be well ~ Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are embracing slow in British Columbia. Brian walks Tilde a few times each day. We watch the birds that come to our feeders and I walk alone in our gardens. I stop and look at each flower. My church has online prayers and music.
    I order our groceries and I spend more time cooking and preparing food.
    I hope that you and your family have a Happy Easter and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you and RH and your family remain well. My heart hurts for those affected by this awful virus. I'm missing Easter Mass this morning, but there in spirit with the rest of our congregation, and hope to see them all soon. Yes, I'm enjoying the "slow" here, and the lack of traffic on the highway just beyong the cow pasture next to me. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Dewena, how I love this post. You have so beautifully expressed my thoughts exactly. And, I am ordering the book today. My mom always said, "Good things always come from bad." And, I have held close to her words during these times. Our world, in my opinion, has been upside down for a long time. Hopefully, this virus disaster is our wake-up call. I love all your pretty blooms and am on the way to the garden to cut a few daffodils for our Easter table. Happy Easter to you and your family. Again, know how much I loved this post. Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Dewena....I totally agree with you. I have friends who seem to be going out of their minds without being able to go, go, go...even in their retirement years. I worked at home, on my own schedule which was often 20 hours aday,(kilns have their own idea of what schedule you should be on) and then did shows on weekends. This was my time to sit back and socialize with customers and art neighbors. When I worked out in the industry---of course it was another thing, always deadlines, trucks, displays that had to be completed. One thing I learned is exterior stress is far worse than the interior stress I placed on myself, perhaps because you have no control. I hope our kids and younger folks can learn the difference while working from home. Hope you have a great weekend, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the photos you shared today Dewena. The touch of fog or humidity in the photos makes them even more lovely.
    We have been staying home too. My husbands work closed two weeks ago. We are going on week 3.

    Both my boys are on the frontlines. Sam was deployed to Madison, Wisconsin to help for 3 weeks. Our Atticus who is a senior in HS is working at our local farm store part time. He does get annoyed with how many people do not obey the Stay at Home. It only hurts all of us. He shared that yesterday the store was busy with families! In fact they asked if the farm store sold movies.

    Anyway.. stay safe .. Happy Easter my friend.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get the feeling you miss your garden at Valley View Dewena? If so, I know how you feel. A beautiful garden doesn’t happen overnight, and I think it’s one of the hardest things to leave behind when we’re uprooted. Our garden in NY was nothing but weeds and overgrown shrubs when we bought the house, but by the time I was finished with it we were on the cover of a local home magazine. Mind you, I do NOT enjoy gardening, so most of the ‘dirty work’ was done by day laborers, but when we lived in Massachusetts we didn’t have that luxury but I managed to whip that place into shape too. And I have NO DOUBT you will make your garden something to behold. You may not have laborers, but you have RH, who is worth ten men from what I can see.

    I was wondering about the carport and its progress. Too bad things got curtailed, but it’s going to be so freakin’ cute! The trim makes all the difference, and I can’t help but wonder what color it will be? Red like the inspiration pic?

    I stumbled upon your New Years post about collard greens (I have to change Browsers to comment and that post is what popped up in Chrome) and I have to tell you I have been making them a lot lately because they come with our vegetable delivery service. The recipe I use is very similar to yours and they are seriously very good! Right now I’ve got a ham in the instant pot and I’m making sweet potatoes and asparagus. There will be lots of ham leftover since it’s just the two of us but that is ok...I see some split pea soup in our future.

    We’re slowly making our way through a ‘honey do’ list of things to do around the house. Some projects as well as some spring cleaning chores. Tomorrow is fisherman’s 72 Birthday! I’ve been telling him from the last ten years or so I’m going to have to trade him in for a newer model, but so far no luck 😂.

    The weather isn’t suppose to be that great tomorrow which is unfortunate but as long as I don’t bug him to do anything on the list he’ll be happy 😉.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been so long since I've visited! I took a rather long break from blogging, but it is good to be back. Oh how I wish I had planted bulbs last fall as I had planned. For years we had daffodils coming up in our woods that the former owner had planted but no more. This fall I will definitely get them planted. The flowers are so cheerful, and how nice to have little vases of them scattered around the home. I just checked and In Praise of Slowness is available from our library through Hoopla so I can listen to it. Thank you for the recommendation. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to see a post from you again, Dewena! This pandemic sure has the entire world slowing down, doesn't it? Brian and I have gotten some spring yard clean up done, as well as some things in the house, but we still have a lot to do.

    How wonderful that your hubby planted all those bulbs and trees. Bulbs are one thing I've never planted here and I really couldn't tell you why. Maybe I'll finally do so this fall.

    Could you help free up some of your hubby's time by helping him with some of the yard work (not sure if you're physically able) or going grocery shopping and to the pharmacy? Or, are you trying to be extra careful and having only one of you being out in public at this time?

    I hope you and RH had a nice Easter. I have a feeling you made a beautiful dinner. I made a spiral ham, au gratin potatoes, and asparagus. Now I have leftover ham and the home bone, so looks like both bean soup and a ham casserole or perhaps a quiche will be on the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Dewena, that photo of RH is priceless. You're so right about the trouble we have in this country to slow down. Now we're forced to do so, and I hope good will come of it. I got kind of excited when you wrote that you wish to paint your workshop in Swedish Red. I don't know if you ever saw the post I did of the red paint we chose for our Oregon cottage. I had researched the Swedish Red and discovered that it's called Falu rödfärg or Falu or Falun Red and that to buy the paint from Sweden is extremely expensive. However, Sherwin Williams Vermillion is a 99% color match, and that's what I chose for our cottage. I love that color. Especially in the winter after it snows. A lovely contrast. Be well, my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely post, Dewena. This world moved at such a fast pace that this enforced slowing down is a dramatic switch for many people. For me, it means a steep learning curve as I try to teach my students online. I am home more, and spending more time in the kitchen and garden, which is most enjoyable. My husband is in health care administration and his job is much, much busier now than before. Your photo of your hubby napping is one that I could take when Tim has a day off. Naps are restorative!

    Your flowers are beautiful, and any flowers are better than none. A good garden takes years to develop. Mine is in need of more attention, and now that that weather is warming up nicely, I enjoy being out there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wise and wonderful post, dear Dewena. For all the stress and worry and heartbreak that come with the corona, there are a few useful lessons that can be found as well. There is more time for contemplation, for dwelling on the things that really matter, on the people that mean the most. I do hope that some of the lessons stay with us, I worry that 'real life' will gobble us up as soon as the restrictions are lifted. Stay safe, my friend, and thank you for this post. I enjoyed reading it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful and timely post, Dewena! RH looks SO relaxed, doesn't he? That spontaneous snooze he's taking was definitely well deserved - gardening is hard work, not to mention building car ports, all in addition to his part-time roofing job! I can't wait to see the car port and workshop painted in that signature, Swedish red with the crisp, white scalloped trim! It's a good thing that his missus is a talented home chef who cooks up delicious meals, which I'm certain he appreciates!

    Your Home Hill flowers are so sweet! I love the little patches of pretties, sparse as they may be, compared to Valley View, for they are petite pops of cheery colour and the lilacs must luxuriously scent your bedroom when the window is open. I'm so jealous of the purple lovelies, as they were a springtime favourite in Toronto, but do not thrive on the island, as you know. Like you, I need to have little posies around the house, too, and as I type this comment, I have a bundle of freshly cut freesia from Fofo's garden sweetly scenting my bedroom!

    Have you read that everyone across the globe is baking bread during lockdown? The internet is full of recipes, about how-to videos on everything from Italian focaccia to Irish soda bread to French baguettes. Loaves take work, TIME, and patience, things, it seems, people are willing to do, NEED to do: pure comfort food for such uncertain, scary days.

    Stay safe and healthy, my friend. I'm so glad you had the time to compose such a beautiful post - slow is the way to go!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow I'm so glad I didn't miss this post - I may be late to the party but I got here in time to see the beautiful blooms and ready your post and spend some timelessness enjoy everything about it I slowed down a long time ago when i retired so it seems kind of normal still here and we are getting out when the weather cooperates and getting in some nice walks, with our masks on and social distancing. We go to places that aren't crowded and you see very few people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dewena,
    I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog because it led me here to your lovely blog. And to you! I'm so happy to be you're latest follower. I have to say how wonderfully comfortable I feel here as i scroll down reading your post. First of all, I love the book you introduced me to, and yes your hubby makes a cute backdrop for it. I'm not familiar with it and I also connected with Larry Dossey's concept of time-sickness. He sounds way ahead of his times and so relevant today. And yes, I also enjoy the sneak peek at the homes behind the TV hosts and journalists, it does add a personal touch that's nice. Once of the unexpected changes that feel refreshing during this difficult time.
    Thank you for sharing all the pretty shots of her garden and i love that scalloped edge too, such a unique and charming look.
    xo
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm on your team... The Slow Pokes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Morning Dewena,
    Yes, it seems like everybody is always in a rush and always has to stay busy. Have never heard of "time sickness" but it makes sense, huh? People staying home now are starting to slow down a bit, which is good I think. Your purple flowers are beautiful. What a stunning color they are. And I love your clock - it looks vintage. That red house with the white trim is so charming. I can see why you wanted that same scalloped trim on your own house. It sounds like your are finding interesting ways to stay busy while staying home during this time.

    Please take care of yourself and stay safe, Dewena.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete