Saturday, April 25, 2020

You Say Potato, I Say Potato...Salad


There is no such thing as really bad potato salad. So long as the potatoes are not undercooked, it all tastes pretty good to me.
Laurie Colwin in Home Cooking

   
I love good potato salad. Do you?

Everyone has their own favorite recipe for potato salad so the only reason I presume to give a recipe for it here is that my gal Nathalie Dupree's recipe has been our family favorite for two decades, and her technique in making it is different from most. 

 Here's her recipe with a few of my own additions.



Boil new potatoes until tender and drain on tea towel. I agree with Laurie Colwin about undercooked potatoes so I err on the side of overcooked.

While potatoes are cooking chop 6-8 ribs of celery and one large onion. Lots of nice fresh celery leaves chopped is a plus.



[If you love celery leaves as much as I do, this really helps to keep them pretty longer: before putting celery in the fridge after buying it, cut off the tops that have nice leaves and plop them in a bowl of cold water while you're putting other groceries up. Change the water a few times, dry well with a tea towel, wrap in paper towel and put in plastic bag or covered bowl in fridge to use as needed.]




Peel potatoes while still hot and put on top of the chopped onion and celery. I crosswise slice them with a knife while still warm in the bowl and then pour over equal amounts of a good apple cider vinegar and olive oil, about a 1/3 cup of each. 



Season with salt and pepper and chill in fridge overnight or at least 2-4 hours. 
 
Stir in 1 cup of mayonnaise and refrigerate another two hours. [I also then add hard boiled eggs, cubed, and sliced olives, and extra mayonnaise if needed.]

Just before serving stir in a few tablespoons of sour cream. Dust with paprika if you like it as much as I do. Delicious!



And how about some Caesar-crusted Crispy Chicken Strips on lettuce to go with it?



 Combine 1/2 cup of Caesar dressing with 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add 2 pounds of chicken strips and toss to coat.

Combine 1 cup Japanese panko, 1/2 cup flour, and 2 tablespoons dried parsley. 

Dredge chicken in breadcrumb mixture, pressing crumbs in gently. Place on baking sheet. Chill at least 30 minutes in fridge.

Cook chicken in batches in coconut oil, not crowding, 3-4 minutes on each side till golden brown. Drain on paper towels.


Serve warm with Caesar dressing on Romaine leaves. [My favorite container for mixing a vinaigrette or dressing is a jam jar with handle from a thrift store!]





Comfort food! 

Another really good recipe for chicken strips I tried recently was from Half-Baked Harvest's Spicy Honey Mustard Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers. Recipe here. 



How are you doing this week? Anyone else feeling kind of jittery lately? When I realized it had been 39 days since I'd left our property, I asked RH to take me for a drive in the country. 

That helped and I took some pictures of pretty dogwoods in bloom and cows and horses grazing.

A post like this seems trivial, so much of social media does now. Next week some non-essential businesses here in Tennessee are set to reopen in Phase I. How about in your state? 

How are you feeling?



18 comments:

  1. Oh, Dewena thank you so much for the recipes. I will certainly try them - all of them. My hubby is a great fan of potato salad and I love it too. But, it really makes him happy.

    Our state (West Virginia) will begin a slow re-opening the first week of May. I am not really happy about that as we still are having new cases.

    Hubby and I are staying well and are in our garden when we can be. It continues to be chilly and rainy here. But, I do know spring will eventually come to our mountains.

    Stay well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal has my mouth watering. Such a perfect summer meal, in spite of the howling wind outside today. It is sunny, so I won't complain.
    Life goes on much the same every day. Yet in my garden there are always changes, and I go out each day to monitor them. We are not opening yet. Our province is being very cautious.
    Stay well, Dewena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a little girl, I did not like potato salad. I think that it was onion that tasted sharp to me. Now I like to boil up a few extra potatoes to make a salad or to fry up with tomatoes, herbs and onions. Did you read Laurie Colwin's fiction books. I remember enjoying them. We're in the apartment but we can go out as long as we keep 6 feet apart from others. We're not re-opening yet. I get a bit edgy because I miss my friends and it's too much together time. Well, there's lots of time for reading and cooking. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only met one or maybe two potato salads that I've met in my entire life that I didn't like.
    and EVEN then I happily ate them! LOL!
    this is a wonderful post.
    and I think spending 39 days without going anywhere would make ANYONE feel jittery!
    the traffic in our city seems almost back to normal! but things are still shut down for the most part except for the necessities.
    I think the first of May is when it starts to open up gradually.
    though it's probably not the best idea. still. it is what it is.
    wishing you well DSM. love Tam
    your posts like this ALWAYS make me hungry! the mark of a good blogger and a great cook!!! wonder if RH realizes how lucky he is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trivial??? Ha! I thought we were an essential public service to distract and entertain the masses of frightened citizens! I actually loved this post because earlier today, being so busy and all . . . I saw an episode of Guy Fieri's Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins where he featured FRIED POTATO SALAD. There's hope in this world yet. Your recipe looks delicious. Thanks for the info and welcomed calming distraction from the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE potato salad. And those caesar-crusted chicken strips -- well, I must try those for sure. YUM!

    You've given us happy thoughts today, Dewena. Thank you.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend,
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recipes, dear Dewena. I love potato salad as well and the chicken looks delicious. Comfort food is what is needed in these days and it is still a bit cool around here and not salad weather just yet :-) Things are looking a bit optimistic around here, quite a few restrictions have been lifted, there is a lot of debate whether it is too soon but who really knows. Take great care!!!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks like a perfect "tater"salad to me!! YUm!!!! What time can I come over? LOL So far they haven't opened much of anything back up yet here, but I think some stores will begin opening this week, slowly and with alot of cautions in place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost nothing can beat a good potato salad but I don't peel. All your extra steps sound like it ups the ante and makes a good, great. I'm headed to parents; furniture has been replaced, now boxes need to be unpacked. It's a wet, overcast, foggy day here but still beautiful. Take care, D, be safe.
    Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sis - now you have me craving potato salad! Must get potatoes this coming week! Only 1 Idaho in my house. I also use a similar recipe; from long ago I read to put vinegar on cooked potatoes & let sit for awhile in frig, now I will add olive oil to vinegar.
    I understand jittery, too many days of not getting out except for groceries & RX’s! And when I do get out I feel somewhat anxious & hurry with shopping so I can get home to safety! Florida is not opening non-essential businesses yet & that’s ok with me. Wondering when I will feel safe again to get out to shop or even go to church.
    Stay safe, I’ll let you know when I make potato salad!
    Trivial is needed!
    My love to you & RH,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off - wow, those chicken tenders ...I have to try that ..ceasar crusted. And i love a good potatoe salad, best one is my son's mother in laws . Your recipe sounds great. We have been getting out because we live near areas where not a lot of people walk their dogs or go walk. we take our masks and enjoy the solitude and beauty of the changing season. Glad you got out. Our dogwoods are just starting to get leaves up here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dewena,
    I have been wanting to have a picnic so badly (our weather has been absolutely wretched.) and for me a picnic isn't a picnic without potato salad. I have all of the ingredients you have listed except sour cream, but tomorrow is a market run for me, so guess I'll snag some while I am there.
    These chicken tenders sound wonderful too. I am definitely in the mood and need for some refreshing and tasty meals.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, Dewena, this looks and sounds like the most scrumptious potato salad I have yet to try! The creamy consistency really shows through in the pics. Can I substitute yoghurt for sour cream, since it's not available here on the island, or would it be too tangy?

    Both versions of the chicken strips look and sound delicious and juicy, not at all dry. I would probably choose the Caesar-crusted ones, as I love anything seasoned with garlic and herbs.

    I'm not surprised about how much better you felt after your drive in the country! Just seeing the beauty of nature, especially, after a long winter, when fresh scents and colourful sights are so appreciated! Hope you can do this on a regular basis. Simply going out to our garden to breathe in the perfume of our lemon blossoms, is pure therapy. Have you smelled your lovely lilacs, today?

    I'm lucky re: lockdown, since I live in the countryside, and am able to take my walks, even visit Fofo (we keep a good 6 - 8 ft. distance), so I get plenty of fresh air and some exercise. I've also started tending to my flowers, watering them every few days and planning on what to buy at the nursery, when I get a chance to go. I do miss my coffee dates with my friends in the city, and choir practice, but that's about it.

    Take care, and have a lovely week!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    I love potato salad too. My mom makes the best and I really should have her write it down for me. She has it set in memory.
    The chicken recipes sound wonderful.. I would like to try the Caesar crusted ones. Yum.
    Take care my friend,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so love your home-y posts, my dear friend! And I do indeed love potato salad, too. Yours sounds absolutely delicious. And now I'm craving that and your Caesar chicken, too! I love both potato salad made with mayo (like yours) and french potato salad, which is made with olive oil, mustard and fresh herbs.

    Wow, you were at home a loong time! I go on a walk every day (unless pouring rain) and have been to the grocery store several times. We're leaving in a few minutes to join in a car parade, going past a friend's house honking and waving for his 60th birthday.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your potato salad really sounds yummy. I have been in the house so long now that I am missing many ingredients. I do have some potatoes, but about 3 of them, puny and shriveled; I think they’ll be good only mashed. I’m still not sure about going out. But I need more fresh food – don’t know if I should get up at the crack of dawn to shop during the senior hours, or go to Kroger at Belle Meade for curbside pick – have not tried either yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your potato salad looks so delicious, Dewena. I've never put paprika on mine before, that sounds good. Your crispy chicken strips look scrumptious. You started out with a nice bunch of potatoes. Your pictures always make your meals look so tasty. The potato salad I make is my mother-in-law's recipe, and it's a simple one. But it tastes wonderful, and I always like to top if off with eggs. Your drive in the country sounds nice, and that is just what I need right now. We're all Ok over here, but needing some fresh air and country roads. I'd love to see some pictures of the cows and horses on your charming country drive.

    ~Sheri

    to answer your question...our state is going to open soon, but slowly. But you won't see me going to restaurants or the movies in the near future. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not trivial at all, Dewena! It's good to focus on "normal" things during this surreal time. I love potato salad, but this recipe of yours is a must try! I'm printing it out, and may try it this weekend. Just may have to give the Caesar crusty chicken a try, too!

    ReplyDelete