Thursday, May 28, 2020

Judith Huxley's Marinated Olives with Alison Roman's Vinegar Chicken

It was a happy merging!



I wanted to try Alison Roman's Vinegar Chicken with Crushed Olive Dressing that was a most requested New York Times recipe after seeing it here on Ted Kennedy Watson's beautiful blog. Every recipe I've tried of Roman's has been delicious and I knew this one would be, too.

But as I read the recipe I thought of the partial jar in my fridge of Judith Huxley's Marinated Olives with Citrus and Fennel, the olives that my daughter-in-law loves and helps make when she visits. 

All of the ingredients in Huxley's recipe from her wonderful cookbook, Table for Eight, could only enhance Roman's recipe so I stirred them into all the good drippings of the chicken dish, the olives and remaining liquid in the jar.



It was amazing! 

I wanted to share this recipe with you so this week I made up another jar of Judith Huxley's marinated olives so I could take a picture of it. We'll snack on the jar of olives until there's about half left and then I'll once again use the remainder for another recipe of Alison Roman's Vinegar Chicken with Crushed Olive Dressing. 



 You'll need:

1 pound jar of olives, drained and rinsed under water.
     (She calls for calamata but I use these pitted Sicilian olives.)

2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed.

Rinds of 1 orange and 1 lemon, peeled with a citrus stripper in long, thin strips. (I just zest the lemon and orange but I'm sure the strips would be even better.)

Juice of the lemon and orange.

2 tablespoons of fennel seed. (And I use a little  oregano from Crete that is wonderfully aromatic.)

Pack the drained olives, crushed garlic cloves, strips (or zest) of citrus, and fennel seeds in a pint jar.

Add citrus juice and then fill to the brim with olive oil. Cover, refrigerate, and shake the jar when you think of it. Wait a day or two to use, bringing to room temperature before serving. 


I used this beautiful vintage pink Italian jar marked Abagal's Useful Jar. Isn't it pretty? I badly need a rubber gasket for it. 


 Again, the recipe for the chicken is here.https://www.tedkennedywatson.com/2020/01/02/vinegar-chicken-with-crushed-olive-dressing/ 

And a little extra cooking note--if you ever see this olive oil for sale, snap it up. I sipped this olive oil by the spoonful as well as making salad vinaigrette with it.



RH bought it at Costco around Christmas for about $14 and it was wonderful! Naturally they were out of it when he went back and I found it on Amazon for $40 a bottle. I just can't justify that but we will be watching for it next Christmas. 

And I hope that someone tries Alison Roman's chicken dish. With beef prices soaring, chicken is a good choice now. And I wish I could suggest Judith's Huxley's olive recipe to Alison Roman as it is a match made in heaven with her chicken dish.



Huxley's one and only cookbook was published posthumously. I read it year round as it is organized by the month. She was food columnist for The Washington Post and was married to Matthew Huxley who was an epidemiologist. And Matthew was the son of Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World and screenwriter for 1940s Pride and Prejudice. 

All of that has nothing to do with these recipes but I found it interesting. 




26 comments:

  1. I started reading Ted Kennedy Watson a few months ago. We don't eat much beef so I'm thankful for chicken recipes. Your useful jar is pretty. We like to buy olives in Corning, California if we travel through. There's a big store called The Olive Pit and they stock so many different olives, oils and vinegars. I expect we'll be close to home for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you mentioning this olive recipe a few years ago and I had asked you for the recipe. I have it sitting in my recipe folder and have I ever made it? Umm, no. So lazy sometimes! And both me and my hubby love olives. So now because you mentioned these olives again, I really need to get my rear in gear and finally make them. And I'll take a look at the delicious looking chicken recipe, too.

    I have never seen that brand of olive oil. Too bad Costco isn't carrying it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I brought the jar out for Memorial Day when our daughter and one son were here with their spouses for our first meal together in ages and they were a big hit. And I'm going to use them tomorrow night when I try Jan of Low Carb Diabetic's blog recipe for Balsamic Pork loin chops with olives.

      I would have linked to Judith Huxley's cookbook on Amazon but it is outrageously expensive now.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could visit The Olive Pit in California!

    I love Ted Kennedy Watson's blog. He posts every day and has the prettiest table settings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'd known you were cooking this I would have come over! LOL!
    This looks and sounds so delicious, as does that wonderful organic olive oil.
    Hope you also enjoy the Balsamic Pork chop recipe :)

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so nice to have you at my table, Jan! I'll be using some of those olives with your pork recipe. I know we're going to love it!

      Delete
  5. This looks and sounds so yummy. I hope they bring back your oil again at Costco what a big price difference. Happy Thursday.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was! Kris, if only Costco would not discontinue items we love!

      Delete
  6. I look forward to making this marinated olive recipe, it sounds wonderful as does that chicken recipe. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine, and I just saw your heartfelt comment at my other blog and will go there now. Love to you!

      Delete
  7. Everything about this post reads delicious and looks so good!! Mentioning olive oil reminded me of a store up in Paso Robles, Ca - wine country but also known for their olive products - in fact there is a store dedicate to selling olive oil. It's been awhile since I've been there so I am assuming it's still there. That chicken looks so good and I'm going to check out those links. thanks so much for making me hungry ... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Californians keep mentioning shops I would love to visit! I don't think Nashville has shops devoted entirely to olives or olive oil but I need to check.

      Delete
  8. It all looks AHMazing and I adore olives so will try that recipe. Thank you for finishing the rest of the story about Huxley; I was wondering as I read. Just yesterday I saw roasted cauliflower and it looked delicious; will have to try that as well.
    Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! And I'm glad you liked to read the rest of the story. I can't seem to help following lead after lead when I'm googling a subject.

      Our daughter does wonderful cauliflower on the grill!

      Delete
  9. Oh my,it all looks DELICIOUS. I love olives so I know I'd love this. Wow, who knew olive oil could be so darn expensive!? Guess we should stock up if it returns to the shelves during the holiday seasons. Have a great weekend! Not sure of our plans but it sure is getting muggy and humid here and we turned on the air. Hope y'all are doing good and staying strong and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love olives too, Debbi! I especially love ones with the pits still in them. Just seems more satisfying to slowly chew all the meat away from the pit but they're getting harder to find in the grocery store. I wouldn't use them for this recipe though. We're doing fine and are thankful for that. Y'all be safe too!

      Delete
  10. I love olives, and so does my husband. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when one has a hunch that if they tweaked this, and added that, to a recipe, it would be perfect for their taste buds!

    Dewena, I am always amazed by your culinary flair, which I believe starts with being curious and open to learning and trying new ideas. Your pairing of Huxley's marinated olives with Roman's recipe, is a prime example. Grated citrus rind, instead of peeled, and a dash of some Cretan oregano for some extra depth, and voilà - you cooked up a customized, scrumptious result: a succulent and savoury success!

    I smiled when you mentioned that you used Sicilian olives instead of Kalamata.  I live on an island that is famous for its olives and olive oil, but I grew up with Kalamata olives, and I still prefer them, which Cretans, including my husband, just cannot digest!

    Thanks for sharing and all your tips; I must give this one a go!

    Happy weekend,
    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I always feel as if I'm a real culinary sissy for not liking Kalamata--I didn't know it was spelled with a K--olives. That's very interesting that Cretans don't prefer them at all. As to your sweet compliments in your comment, I appreciate them but oh if you only knew all the common country meals that I usually cook like pinto beans and cornbread and salmon patties with canned salmon, etc. You're the one with culinary flair, my dear!

      Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  12. I love the Kalamata olives and all olives really. I am going to make the recipe you have here for them. All ingredients I like.
    I use a lot of olive oil and will look for the Carpelli brand. Chicken in vinegar is something that sounds so delicious! I looked at the recipe and all looks so pretty on the plate. I soak chicken in vinegar over night before I cook it the next day. Mom always did too. I know with the way we practically drink vinegar around here that this is a must try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dewena, both of these recipes sound fabulous. I will have to keep an eye out at Costco for the olive oil. They sure have good deals. For years we bought Raspberry Chipolte sauce there, and it was so reasonable. They don't carry it anymore and it is SO expensive elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your vinegar chicken looks like a delicious meal, Dewena. It looks crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. I love OLIVES! And garlic makes everything taste better. Cooking can be such a comfort during these troubling times.

    I hope you have many good June days ahead, Dewena.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these olives sound so delicious, and I can imagine how they would enhance the chicken dish, too. As soon as I read the name of the cookbook author - Huxley - I wondered if there was a connection to the famed author. So glad you added that bit of information. I'm book marking this post for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never thought of cooking olives with chicken, you've intrigued me. If Jan is coming over for dinner, I'm joining as well. I'll bring desert.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete