Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Paying my respects to the Queen.

 

BBC News has been on every morning here these days since the passing of Queen Elizabeth II as they have had live coverage in Scotland and then today in Northern Ireland.

I am, quite simply, a royalist and Anglophile. 

And I have never been able to visit the UK so the history being revealed, the scenery, the somber ceremony, the bystanders being interviewed--especially the children--have all touched me.

Most of all, the services at the church in Scotland and Northern Ireland, as well as the first one in London, with their beautiful music and Scripture readings has been a balm to my spirit.

Recently, when our son Daniel and his family came to visit they brought me a thrift store copy of Sally Bedell Smith's book Elizabeth the Queen and I have been enjoying reading my way through it. 

I love this 1965 picture in the book of the Queen on horseback at Balmoral with one of her corgis. We had two corgis for many years because of Tasha Tudor but I loved knowing that corgis were a passion of Queen Elizabeth.

 

The other day RH stopped by a bookshop and bought me two of my four favorite British magazines, something he treats me to whenever he thinks about it and especially in December. 

I sat down to sink into the beautiful magazines full of my favorite interior designs and gardens and was thrilled to discover that the October issue of The English Home had a beautiful article, "Regal Retreats."


One of the homes shown is Highgrove in the Cotswolds, retreat of who was at the time the magazine was printed, His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.

 


I'll admit it, I am a staunch admirer of Charles and wish King Charles III a long healthy successful reign. 

And I have a copy on the way of Sally Bedell Smith's  Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life. 

As I finish writing this, Queen Elizabeth's casket is now leaving the Royal Norfolk AB on the way to Buckingham Palace for one final night. It is dark and raining there and I am very glad it is sunny here, even if the sun does show up that I badly need to dust. 

 





13 comments:

  1. I am also an admirer of our last HM Queen Elizabeth II, and have been watching bits and pieces of the coverage of her memorials. I was touched by the vigil of the four children by the coffin in St. Giles church in Scotland, and today by the arrival of her coffin in London, and of the Princess Royal's devotion to her mother. She looked tired and drawn standing by the airplane, and gave such a deep curtsey when the hearse passed her. My heart goes out to her. I wish our new King Charles III much success in his new role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Princess Royal did look tired and my heart went out to her too, Lorrie. I can only imagine the strength it's taken her to be by her mother's side all this time. And the slow trip to Edinburgh and the slow walk along the Royal Mile. And then to Northern Ireland and finally to London. I understand that the walk tomorrow from Buckingham Palace to Westminster will take almost 40 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I know basically nothing about the Queen. I love the English countryside, mannerisms, culture, etc. but never had much of an interest in British Royalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my love of Queen Elizabeth from my mother, Melanie, who loved her. I've read every article about her that was in Mama's women's magazines as well as so many books over the years.

      Delete
  3. I have so admired Queen Elizabeth through the years. I think I got my love of the royal family and England from my grandmother, who was such a lady and read voraciously about England. Your magazines look wonderful! I could enjoy poring through them, of course, with a cup of tea in one of my bone china teacups:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you have no idea how much I wish I liked to drink tea and could use some of my pretty tea cups for it. I am so embarrassed to admit that I don't. I was a first baby and my mother was so strict about not letting me have it that I never learned to. My three younger sisters all love tea and coffee, which I don't drink either except for ones that are almost desserts from Starbucks.

      Delete
  4. I also bought a corgi in 2006 because of seeing them in Tasha Tudor's Christmas book "Take Joy" which I enjoyed. My corgi's name was Heidi. She was such a good dog and like a child to me. She passed away in October 2021. Such a joy she was.
    I also have always loved British things - starting when I first read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights back when I was around 12. Then followed other English authors in high school and I even chose English literature as an elective. . When I was in my 20s and 30s, I subscribed to Victoria magazine, not British, but which had a lot of pictures of places in England. As I get older, I enjoy it even more, including the royal family. When my daughter and I get together on Saturdays, we watch "Watched Walker" on YouTube (a person with a camera walks around London - no talking - just places). And of course, there's the Great British Baking Show and The Repair Shop (which my husband also watches). There's more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbi, I'm so sorry your Heidi left you nearly a year ago. We lost two of our beloved Otis and Milo within days of each other in October of 2017 and October has since been tinged with melancholy because of that.
      I'm making a note of "Watched Walker" to find on You Tube. I watch Acorn tv and BritBox almost exclusively for their wonderful shows. I loved the Vera series, 7 years of it, and have watched Shetland twice, Pie in the Sky, Endeavor and Inspector Morse, etc. Watched the Crown series on Netflix but will miss the newest season as I cancelled Netflix due to so few things on it that I enjoy. Thank you for commenting, Debbie!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful tribute, dear Dewena. I few years ago I was visiting Scotland with my family. We spread around in a small town and I went into a church a got talking with a woman who was arranging the flowers. She told me (in secret!) that Charles and Camilla were expected at their church for services they next day and why don't we come to see them. I was tempted but we already had the next day planned and went elsewhere. That is as close as I come to a royal story.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful royal story, Amalia! I love thinking of the possibilities. And knowing you visited Scotland, something I would love to have done. I watch any shows I can that take place in Scotland. Presently I am on pins and needles waiting to see what will happen next in "Shetland."

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful goodbye to our sweet and regal Queen.

    I also have the same book on the Queen, also from our local charity shop! And just found my October copy of "The English Home."

    Wonderful post!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, thank you and so glad to hear you have the book and the October copy of the magazine! The magazine has really held true to the English Country Home style unlike some other UK shelter magazines that I'm afraid are becoming too contemporary for my taste. Best to you!

      Delete
    2. I agree. This is my favorite one, followed by Country Living U.K. Anything else isn't as interesting!

      X Chy

      Delete