Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Guess who came to breakfast?

 

Who could it be here at our waffle breakfast?

 

You guessed right, it's our sweet beautiful granddaughters!

They and their wonderful parents came in on a Friday night and after a precious weekend, all too soon it was Sunday morning when they packed up after a waffle breakfast and it was time to say goodbye.

 

Goodbye until the next time and thank goodness we live in an internet age so I can keep up with them online.


 And while I have some gardening friends that may be viewing the above picture of our elder granddaughter, do you see the two purple plants, volunteers growing in the path behind her? I've forgotten what they are and need help identifying them.

Here they are, cut before the frost got them...


And a closer view of the plumes that were much longer last summer in a pot nearby this year's volunteers...


Anyone know what they are? I sure would love to have some again next summer.

My last vase of zinnias before the frost and one lone echinacea bloom...


And we just had to bring in the pot of pink geranium. Don't know how long it will last as it only gets bright light all day until afternoon sunshine. I've kept small pots of geraniums blooming in the sunny kitchen window all year but didn't have room for this pot in the there.

Some wonderful things you just have to enjoy in the present. Some wonderful things you just have to wait for, right? Like special breakfast guests.




 

 

14 comments:

  1. Your granddaughters are just beautiful! How wonderful that they and their parents visited you for the weekend.
    Your plants are red amaranth. The only reason I know is because I went onto my phone and downloaded your photo, then put it on my plant ID app. ;-) I use that app all the time; it sure comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! And I see that your son is home for a visit too! I am writing down red amaranth. Thank you for solving this puzzle for me!

      Delete
  2. Your plumey plants are amaranth. They are showy, aren't they!

    Your granddaughters are beautiful.

    -GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen! When I woke up this morning I found your and Melanie's answers on my phone. For some reason I can no longer publish comments through my emails on phone and have to wait until I go to my laptop to do it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what sweet pictures of your grandgirls, Dewena. Sounds like you had a lovely visit with them. It's easy for the children to fill our hearts and and bring smiles to our faces. That candle is pretty, and I've always loved your blue lamp. Your vase of flowers adds a special touch to your kitchen. Waffles, Yummy! This is a sweet post, Dewena, of family time spent together. I get to see my grandgirls soon also. And I hope I don't get snowed in on that special day, oh my. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheri! Oh, I do hope you get to see your grandgirls soon! Snow this early? Safe travel to you! There's nothing like a visit with family to bring a big smile to my face.

      Delete
  4. Your granddaughters are adorable, Dewena, you must have enjoyed their visit very much. I love the last flowers of the season, like favorite guests staying a while longer when the party is almost over.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amalia! I surely did enjoy it. And I love your comparison to favorite guests staying a while longer when the party is almost over. Very nice!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your previous comments addressed the plant ID for you. What sweet granddaughters, and how delightful to spend a weekend with them. I love that all of ours live in town and we see them frequently, but for a couple of years, when they lived in another town, they would come to spend the weekend. It was delightful to have them from morning til night.
    Your pink geranium is gorgeous, and I know you will enjoy it until the flowers fade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so sweet, Lorrie! It means so much to me that they still love to come see their Mimi and PawPaw. You are so blessed to have yours near now!

      Delete
  6. How nice for all of you that you got a family visit. Your granddaughters are so beautiful! I wouldn't have been able to help you with the name of the plant, so I'm glad that Melanie and Gretchen could help you. They are sure lovely plants. And the zinnias! I just love that they last so long into the fall. They are beautiful even as they dry out. I am going to once again over winter my geraniums in Dan's workshop. It has the best window on our property! and he is a good sport about having them in there;) The candle and zinnia arrangement on your stove top look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just gave me a good idea, Karen. If my geranium doesn't flourish there, I'll send it out to RH's workshop! I do love zinnias so much and keep cutting the stems and moving them to smaller and smaller vases until they practically turn brown. And I almost cried when I picked the last little pepper on our kitchen porch garden. I'm a fall and winter lover but this summer went by too fast for me.

      Delete
  7. So glad they got to come visit! Love that window picture with the flowers. My zinnias are still blooming as are my cyclamen marigolds 4oclocks and red hibiscus. Happy to see you post! ...debbi at debbis front porch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbi! You have that beautiful autumn climate there that keeps the gardens pretty. And I know you enjoy your walks along the streets of your beautiful city!

      Delete