Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Ca. 1970, Our Firstborn's Bedroom

 


I don't remember if the orange walls were my idea or his but I do remember that his bedroom even then reflected his many interests: science, model airplanes, Lego masterpieces, hermit crabs and guinea pigs. At two he was taking apart his robots and putting them together again. 

Did he love orange or did I, which is a possibility as I still do. Here's a current picture of his old bedroom found on Zillow showing that the original Armstrong flooring I chose is still there on the floor over 50 years later. This was not a flat printed pattern; you could run your finger around each raised embossed circle. 


You're probably thinking "What was she thinking?" but I still think it was kind of cool and the homeowners did leave it all these years. Our little boy loved it.

He grew up to be my next-door neighbor at Valley View for sixteen years and repaired and mended anything I needed fixing and came down the hill for coffee almost every morning. You better believe I miss that!

Today his interests are still many and varied, from collecting and repairing vintage classic radios to his own geiger counter virtual museum channel on YouTube. Instead of hermit crabs, a passel of Chihuahuas share the home. 

Every year for his birthday he asked for a Hershey Bar Cake, a dense chocolate cake that needs no icing other than a little powdered sugar. 


The recipe is here, straight from Hershey land itself.

For some reason I made the cake this summer for him instead of waiting until his birthday and he came and picked it up.


This time I used a tube pan instead of my bundt pan.

Here's a family trivia note, over the years I collected vintage Hershey cocoa tins and one year I received a Hershey Christmas house from my dear neighbors that proudly was displayed each Christmas. When RH and I downsized and moved, we passed on all my Christmas houses to various family members and naturally all my Hershey collection went to my neighbors. We just don't have room for my Christmas villages here at Home Hill but I still miss arranging all of them.



When my firstborn's birthday came up this fall I wasn't in the mood to make another Hershey Bar Cake so I asked him what I could fix instead and the request was for Chicken Tetrazzini. I forgot to take a picture but I always make at least two from my old Southern Sideboard cookbook when I make it so here's a picture from another time.


And then the following week I decided I just had to bake some kind of cake for my boy and made a fall favorite, Mrs. Collins' Sweet Potato Cake from an old newspaper recipe. He generously shared half the cake with me and his dad.


No link for the delicious recipe but here's a picture of the recipe. I used my favorite Greek olive oil instead of the vegetable oil it called for and liked it even better.

I have to admit that even though the orange floor in our firstborn's bedroom remained through the years, the orange walls did not. I'll close by showing a picture of its change when he was a few years older.


It probably fitted in more with the current style then but looking back at it now it doesn't seem nearly as much fun as those orange walls. 

That boy though? Now he and our daughter-in-law have grandchildren themselves and he still scores two F's. 

Fun and Fascinating! 




14 comments:

  1. Oh Dewena, your post hit home for me, as I used to make the chocolate cakes from the Hershey's cocoa box many years ago. They were the most scrumptious and moist cakes, right? That is wonderful that you kept the tins, I wish I had at least one of them. I bet your neighbor really appreciated them. That's such a treasured photo of your son with the cake his mama made for him. Thanks for sharing a bit of your son's room with us. My son was really into Legos for a time as well. And the orange walls.....I read one time that orange is the happiest color. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are no-fail cakes, aren't they, Sheri, leftovers delicious cold in fridge. Orange does make me happy but in small doses now, not necessarily on the walls. Although I still remember the kitchen in a British magazine a few years ago, a designer who had an orange kitchen that I loved.
      Yes, I love the photo of my son, both when little and grownup!

      Delete
  2. I have my grandmother's Hershey's cocoa cookbook. My mom always used the chocolate frosting recipe in it. I love the orange floor! Your son is a keeper. What a great post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about that floor, Karen! And I definitely think my son is a keeper--as are his sister and two brothers!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What a delightful post this is about your firstborn! I love his bedroom floor from when he was a child - so retro now. Glad it's still there. Chicken Tetrazzini and sweet potato cake sound absolutely delicious to me. What a wonderful and thoughtful mama you are. And hard to believe you're also a great-grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! We have four beautiful great-grandchildren! Our daughter also has two grands.

      I had the fun of showing the post to my son this afternoon when he dropped by to return my casserole dish. I think he was pleased that I linked to his YouTube channel and would welcome any new subscribers to it. Even people not interested in geiger counters should appreciate the beautiful music he chooses trying to fit the mood of his posts. I watch them just to see his hands and marvel that he is still happiest putting machines together. It takes me back to his toddler robot days!

      Delete
  4. I love this post about your firstborn, Dewena. What a fun bedroom he had - that floor is stunning. Our grownup children always seem to appreciate something from mom's kitchen, don't they? I have two brownie recipes from Hershey's chocolate that I clipped from magazines years ago. They are stained because I make them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! I'll have to search a Hershey brownie recipe. My mainstay chocolate brownie is one made by putting large Symphony chocolate bars between the layers. Yum, just typing that is making me crave them.

      That was some floor, I have to admit!

      Delete
  5. I can't believe the floor remains intact after all these years and being such a bright pattern!! I think it's super cool and you were right on trend back then. A very groovy trendsetter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I see that the 70's are in with young people again so I wonder if the floor will be too? Probably not!

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday to your fun and fascinating first born, Dewena! I love that in both photos he's in the exact same position, slightly turned to the right and holding his prized possessions of the moment! I'm sure that he looks forward to his mama's Hershey Bar Cake every year - such a special treat made with so much love. The Chicken Tetrazzini looks delicious!

    What a beautiful room he had, so personally furnished with his favourite things. I'm sure he spent a lot of time there, immersed in his many interests. I love the Armstrong tiles and from your description of their embossed circles, I feel that they must have been fun to walk on and good for the soles of the feet, too! They remind me a little of all the unique and pretty mosaic tiles I see in old houses, here on the island and throughout Greece.

    Your collection of vintage Hershey cocoa tins served you well over the years. How wonderful that family and neighbours can now enjoy those pieces, too. The Christmas house sounds TOO sweet!

    And speaking of Christmas and houses, have you started decking your halls, yet?

    Happy Saturday, dear friend.
    Poppy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not noticed that he was standing the same in both pictures, Poppy! I do think he likes for me to share my cooking with him. When he dropped by the other day I sent some frozen raspberry streusel muffins home with him I'd just made and he texted me a few minutes ago that he had one for breakfast and loved it.

      That floor was comfortable to walk on barefoot! Kind of padded. And I realize as I reread the post that I didn't make it clear that the neighbors I gave the Hershey collection to was my son and daughter-in-law. And you better believe it, Poppy, I've begun to deck our halls! Even though I will keep corncob candles and a horn of plenty on the dining table through Thanksgiving Day and Thanksgiving Day Native Americans are still sitting on a cabinet and a few other things like that, a Christmas tree is decorated and other things will go up this weekend. I do have that little surgery coming up in early December where I won't be able to lift anything or bend over for a week so it's all going up early where I can rest and enjoy the Christmasy feeling while recuperating. And then maybe do a little baking!

      Have you started yet? I can't wait to see your beautiful house with the Christmas trimmings! Happy Saturday to you!

      Delete
  7. I love orange - and that floor is to die for! I actually had an orange living room at one time. What a great son and wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie Anne, I ordered your Bringing Christmas Home the other day and am looking forward to reading it as soon as it arrives!
      I could easily do an orange living room after seeing one years ago in Country Home that was in a New England farmhouse owned by a landscape designer, wish I could remember her name.

      Delete