Thursday, December 7, 2023

I Love the Lights of Christmas!

 


Ever since my Uncle Jack and Aunt Etta drove me and my little sisters around at night when we were very small to look at neighborhoods that had the prettiest Christmas lights, that has been a favorite Christmas activity. 

But now that RH's night vision is not the best, I am so thankful that one neighbor across the street from us, high on a hill, has had a beautiful display every December for me to enjoy the last two years since their house was completed. I simply step out on either porches and let my phone capture pictures. 

When I took pictures of it last December I didn't realize someone was photo bombing them. 

Look who was in our yard!



 Herds of deer visit our yard all the time but it is only the males who seem to come at night. Our other nighttime visitors are possums, raccoons, a fox family, and one beautiful skunk with a white topknot. There's also a groundhog who lives in the old barn and comes out in the mornings. 

And that's about it for this December post, dear friends, but at least I've made a start. For two months now I've waited for Mohs surgery on my forehead where squamous cells were found and the surgery was Tuesday. All the bad cells were removed in the first cut and they didn't have to go deeper, very welcome news for me as I had been told it was likely advanced. 

I've spent the last two months, after our experience with RH's heart conversion was safely past, getting ready for the surgery and the downtime after. My house was completely decorated for Christmas, meals were in the freezer, my fruitcake made, BreeBree and James Mason taken for their spa day. 

So now for 7-10 days RH will take care of the house while I obey the no lifting, no bending over orders. I go back in mid December to have a small bad spot taken off my knee but it should be a simple procedure. 

With some downtime ahead I hope to post here because I think it will keep my spirits high during a time when I'll be quite homebound. I'll try to faithfully visit blog friends, especially once I get rid of this headache. One eye is black today and I still feel like I want to yank my eyeballs out and wrinkling my forehead accidentally is excruciating but that should get better as soon as I can take the pressure dressing off and the stitches are gone. 

Meanwhile I am so very thankful for all the prayers. I am looking forward so much to enjoying every single day of the Christmas season, in a quiet way, with the promise of family coming in from out of town nearer Christmas.

May your own December be blessed and Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate them! 

With love,

Dewena 

(I don't think I'm responsible for all the different sizes the print turned out to be here but who knows?)





9 comments:

  1. Sending you best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery, Dewena! I've experienced minor Moh's surgery and even that little bit left me feeling sore and bruised. I'm glad yours wasn't as invasive as you feared. Take it easy and enjoy your lovely home all dressed for Christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I do hope your husband is continuing to heal well after his surgery. Being at home during a quiet season of recuperating is cozier with touches of holiday cheer around. I had major Mohs surgery in 2002 so knew what to expect but the nose and cheek surgery then wasn't nearly as painful. Still I was homebound until a large wound closed--no stitches that time. I'm paying for all those teenage sunburns. Don't do that, young people!

      Delete
  2. Dewena, I am so very glad the surgery is over and pray for healing. How organized you are to get everything ready for Christmas ahead of time. I'm so impressed. Now you can enjoy it all to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having pretty Christmas treasures around has helped me to relax during this time, Lorrie, and each day is a little better. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Prayers have been answered, praise the Lord! How special this coming Christmas will be for you and your family (and friends from afar!) for a successful surgery, good fortune and peace of mind, Dewena. Your conscientious activities pre surgery now allow for well deserved rest and relaxation. Those twinkling lights, high on the hill, must be such a soothing sight, brigtening the night, before the celebration of Christ's birth.

    You take care, my friend!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers, Poppy! All the prayers from family and friends brought me such peace of mind as I approached the morning of surgery. And thank you for your support as I waited those two months for it. It was such an encouragement to me.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you've been having health issues, Dewena. I said a prayer for you. The house lights are so pretty, and I especially love the one with the deer frolicking in the front yard. I'm glad you can see your neighbor's house high on the hill. At our old house, we used to have a neighborhood who had a light display, and it was amazing. We would slowly drive around and see all the decorations and lights. I miss that. I am also saying a prayer for your husband, Dewena. You've been through a lot lately.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheri! I appreciate the prayers for myself and RH so much.
      People who are able to display Christmas lights on their house and in their yard probably don't realize how much pleasure they give even to strangers who view them. This particular house is in a gated community across the street from us so we aren't able to drive around in it but I get so much pleasure of it from our own house. We only see this house when the trees lose their leaves so it's always nice when I get to see their lights in the fall and winter anyway.

      Delete
  5. I hope you're on the mend, Dewena!! I've heard that's a rough surgery. Be gentle with yourself. I love looking at the lights. We've taken the kids to look at them for years and we still all get together with hot chocolates for an evening light drive!! Be well!!

    ReplyDelete