Monday, January 22, 2024

Can we pretend today is January 2nd?


Can we pretend this is the day after New Year's Day 2024 and I'm publishing this blog post in a timely fashion? 

Only two days before, on New Year's Eve 2023, my pretty Karen Adams calendar was posing for a picture for the last time that year.


December's page was almost too pretty to say goodbye to and I still hadn't opened that green tube holding "Stress Away" that was a Christmas gift from my daughter-in-law, a roll on essential oil product that I've used for at least 8 years. 

Boy, was I going to need it along about January 20th when this happened in our front yard...




That's right, a big salt truck slipped backwards into our yard and wasn't able to get back on the icy road. 

After watching vehicle after vehicle slide into the ditch  of our long road frontage that afternoon we were first very happy to see the salt truck come to the rescue. That is, until he slid backward into our yard and broke our water meter and line and we were not only without water but water began spewing out into the yard, soon giving us an ice rink. Oh, and the white car is where someone in the neighborhood abandoned his car there and walked home. 

The good ending to that night was that three trucks and four supermen from our local utility district came and worked in the dark to restore our water. And as far as we know, in all the vehicles up and down our street that landed in the ditch that day, no one was hurt. 

Now, back to pretending it's January 2nd! I'm going to attempt to embed a video of our family Christmas party on December 23rd hosted by daughter-in-law Court in our old Valley View.


I hope that works! It was a wonderful night with everyone there except for our dear daughter Christy and son-in-law Bryan who now live in northern Florida. But her sons Luke and Alex were there with Alex's family. In fact, we had four generations of our family there including our four great-grandchildren! 

It was such a joy to join together as a family at the house that was our home for over 26 years. While there I couldn't help remembering all the Christmases and Thanksgivings and birthdays that were celelbrated and all the good times in the kitchen cooking and eating together. I'm so grateful to Court for hosting all of us!

Now, on to New Year's Eve. Let's have dessert first, shall we? Last post I told you I was going to make a Boston Cream Pie so I must show you that, but don't expect a cake where the chocolate glaze just drips down the edges because if a little chocolate is good, more is better.


A homemade cake deserves a pretty presentation so my Boston Cream Pie went on my milk glass cake stand and called for damask napkins and my wedding silver and wedding china. The television is set on YouTube's Hobbit House fireplace.



The cake was the best Boston Cream Pie I've ever eaten, including the first piece I ever had, in a Miami Beach restaurant when I was 18.



We did share our cake with our firstborn son and his family but RH and I looked forward all day to our slice at night until it was gone. 

This was a Cook's Illustrated recipe back when my dear Christopher Kimbell was Cook's Illustrated and I subscribed to the magazine for years. If you search for Wicked Good Boston Cream Pie you can find where food bloggers have the recipe for it. I now find Christopher Kimbell on his podcast, Milk Street. 

I did end up making braised salmon with caramelized onions from my Mediterranean cookbook by Nancy Harmon Jenkins.


And made potato salad to go with it. I froze individual portions of the salmon that make delicious lunches.


 That's pickled green beans on the plate too, part of a big gift box from Court.



On New Year's Day we got busy in the kitchen early. RH washed and cut two large bunches of collard greens for me. They do quickly cook down.



I also had black-eyed peas cooking early, soaking them overnight first, and Rancho Gordo's are the only dried beans I buy. Here's my last order from them of dried beans and their wonderful spices. I even gave Rancho Gordo products for Christmas gifts! 


After getting the collards and black-eyed peas cooking, I started on the pork loin roast.




That's prunes and apricots in the final gravy.




 I begged for a break in football games while we ate and got to watch a favorite Christmas movie.


Do you recognize it? I should have cropped out our red sofa. 

I'll end with a quotation that was the inspiration for my pork roast recipe, even though mine did not end up as beautiful as the one in the quotation from a favorite old 1975 book.

The Omars always ate dinner by candlelight. It was restful, provided a cozy atmosphere, and seemed right in the old house in which they lived. Barbara Omar was an expert in bringing forth the beauty from everything she touched, and she never minded the extra work. She was an excellent cook and the dishes she served often resembled magazine displays. He was a lucky man to have such a wife...He turned his attention back to their meal--the pork roast was almost too pretty to carve, he joked, so beautifully decorated with apricots, stuffed prunes, and parsley. This was the life he loved--a dear family which showed its love, good food, and the warmth of home.

                         From The Golden Acre by Thyra Ferre Bjorn 


I want to be Barbara Omar when I grow up! 

I'd like to sincerely thank those who read this terribly long post--even if you just scrolled through, which I wouldn't blame you for doing! 

RH and I wish you a safe and blessed 2024,

Dewena

15 comments:

  1. Dewena here: I forgot to include that my pretty calendar was a Christmas gift from my sweet daughter Christy! Most of you probably know that as I tell you that every year. I look forward to my new calendar every Christmas because I know that Christy will buy one for herself too and that makes me feel extra close to her on the first day of each month when I know she's turning to the new month too. Thank you my darling daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewena, the full house at Christmas sounds wonderful! And four great-grandbabies! I heard at least one of them in the video. One of my brothers lives in the house we all grew up in. Before Christmas we gathered there to celebrate my dad's birthday. (We refer to the house as 'the old homestead.') My parents bought it in 1966.
    Your recipes always look and sound so delicious. And the presentation is lovely. Barbara Omar has nothing on you! :)
    The movie: The Bishop's Wife. I watch it every year, too!
    Happy New Year to you and RH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you and that is fabulous that the old homestead is still in the family! I love that so much!
      Happy New Year to you and your husband, too, and I hope he is continuing to feel better each week!

      Delete
  3. I am having to post as Anonymous as I do not have a blog. Karen is right your food is always gorgeous and beautifully presented. It was so bittersweet reading about you reminiscing about past holidays at Valley View as my daughter was just talking about how special I seemed to make our holidays when she was growing. My heart always leaps with joy when I see a new post from our Dewena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear friend, I wish you had left your name but thank you so much for your sweet comment. I can even think of several friends including my dear sister Deb who have daughters that I can well imagine their daughter telling them they made holidays special when they were growing up. So if you happen to come back and read this and don't mind leaving your name, I would love to know it. Again, thank you so much for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. Dear Dewena,
    Your posts are full of such deliciousness. Not only the food, but the little vignettes you post, and that delightful video. I loved hearing the happy sounds of many people gathered. The calendar is so pretty. Do you save them from year to year?
    We had friends for dinner recently and I made a prune stuffed pork tenderloin. Pork goes so well with a little sweetness, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorrie! I loved the video our son Daniel took and the happy sounds you commented on were the best Christmas gift ever, those voices of the ones I love. If only our Christy and Bryan could have been there too. And I do save Christy's calendars, got them out this year and took a picture of them, far too pretty to throw away. Yes, the taste of prunes and apricots is perfect with pork. And sometimes when RH cooks pork chops for breakfast I will stir in some cinnamon after he's finished cooking and then saute pineapple slices in the drippings to go with it.

      Delete
  5. Your food looks so delicious, and I want to be Barbara Omar also!

    Here in Iowa, we've had lots of snow, 20 inches, and our temperatures have been frigid, but ice is the worst! So scary!

    I'm trying to talk myself into blogging again; you're an inspiration.
    Brenda from Simple Pleasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Brenda, 20 inches of snow! Our 8 inches is nothing compared to that. We are so little prepared for it here in Nashville area. I read that we had ordered 24 snow plows but they hadn't arrived due to supply chain issue so I pictured them stuck in shipping containers on a ship somewhere.

      Please do pick back up with blogging, Brenda! I'll have to watch for Simple Pleasures!

      Delete
  6. Your roast looks delicious....and that Boston cream pie! I never thought of adding prunes and apricots to the gravy, Yummy. So sorry you had a bit of a trouble with the icy roads in your front yard. It's so hard to be without power and water. It was good of the workers to work into the night to try to fix the problem. I see you got your favorite calendar for the new year. It looks so charming. Your Christmas party in the past at Valley View looks so fun with all the family. Thanks for sharing the little video.

    I do hope this year brings much goodness your way, Dewena. I must say that I love that photo of your homemade cake on your milk glass stand with all the candles. It's very quaint. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear friend! It was a delight to share my family with my friends. It was such a special occasion and I am so thankful that they are so close to each other. I know you understand what a blessing that is. I always love when you show your granddaughters who are cousins playing together.

      Delete
  7. I always love seeing a post from you - your writings and photos are so delightful and homey! Your food always looks delicious and I love your dishes and table settings.

    What a sweet video of your beautiful family. So many gathered together...you are so blessed. My extended family is scattered all over and my sister is estranged from our family.

    That disaster in your front yard sounded like a nightmare! Glad it got taken care of in a not-too-long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie! I know how much you treasure those times when Tim can fly home from California. And it has to be sad that there's a strain between a sibling and the family. I wish I could share mine with you because I'm blessed with three amazing younger sisters.
      I called our water company the other day and explained what happened and asked that word be passed along to the supervisor of the men who came to fix our water line. RH even tried to tip them but they refused to take it so I wanted their boss to know that they had excellent employees. We are having almost spring like weather now and all the snow is gone and no one is complaining about that!

      Delete
  8. Dearest Dewena,

    It is very evident from your beautiful photos and video(yay!!) that you and RH had a lovely (and delicious!) holiday season, surrounded by so many joyful people, big and small, sharing in fun festivities! I loved seeing and hearing all the sights and sounds of the gathering at Valley View! How blessed you all are to have spent such precious time together during Christmas!

    I know how much you enjoy cooking all those scrumptious dishes and I'm sure RH can't wait for dinner every night, after a long, hard day at work. How cozy your New Year's Eve looks, with that perfect Boston Cream Pie, candles and a special fireplace! How delectable your pork loin roast looks glazed in that gorgeous gravy! All the dishes you featured today are mouthwatering and so beautifully styled; I bet Mrs. Omar would be in awe!

    I'm glad that you weren't too long without water that frosty night!

    Stay safe and warm!
    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Poppy! I appreciate everyone's compliments but believe me, there are many nights when Mrs. Omar would not be in awe!
      It was such a blessing to have the family together, even though it would have been even more special if Christy and Bryan could have been there. It certainly did this mama, grandmother and great-grandmother's heart good to hear all of them laughing together and enjoying each other's company. And thank you for your compliment on my cake--coming from a cake baker extraordinaire! (Back now to read your message on Instagram before you go to sleep!)

      Delete