Saturday, January 27, 2024

Here's to a smile for my 10 year blogging anniversary!


 Even though I've blogged for twelve years at Across the Way,  it was ten years ago, January 27, 2014, that I first published Dewena's Window. 

We had snow there at Valley View that day and RH caught Katie Belle crossing the barn bridge. 


Here at Home Hill this past week there weren't many paw prints in our beautiful snow. Our dachshunds said No thank you when asked if they wanted to go potty.

But I loved the beautiful and rare 8 1/2 inches of snow we got here. From the first day it started falling, I couldn't keep away from the windows...


until the pond froze solid...


and even when we had to keep faucets dripping and doors under sinks open.

Of course I'm not the one who had to go outside and feed the birds.

Or climb ladders to thaw ice dams or to shovel paths clear.


And you already know that I'm not the one who spent hours outside when the salt truck ran over our water line.


But I loved every minute of our snow and was sad to see the rain melt it yesterday. 

What I did do, always do when it snows, is cook. Not the grilled cheese, tomato soup and Rice Krispie Treats I always made when I had children at home for snow days but what we were craving; salmon mousse with dill sauce for me, pinto beans for RH, and strawberry shortcake for both of us.

The Salmon Mousse was from one of my favorite cookbooks, Helen Exxum's Cookbook, 1987. and it was from The Gordon Lee House in Chickamaugua, Georgia, served at charity fundraisers with celebrity guests attending. 


You might remember that I'm that rare person who loves anything with gellatin in it, aspics, mousses, jello molds, you name it, if it slides down the throat as smooth as gellato, serve me a bowl. 


Unusual for me, my Christmas decor is 90% packed away now but I've kept out a few things I can't part with yet. Which is better than February 2nd when I usually pack it all away. The china above is one of two patterns I love to use in January and February. 

And here's the pinto beans I fixed, Rancho Gordo's that are the creamiest pinto beans ever.


I soak them overnight in purfied water, in the fridge if I have room, and when I cook them until tender the next day I follow Rancho Gordo's advice and never add anything like vinegar to it, or salt as they toughen the beans. I know some cooks say that vinegar in it solves the problem some people have with gas but Rancho Gordo's advice to that problem is to just eat more beans. 

Normally, my pinto beans have a whole bunch of chopped cilantro added to it but we weren't running to the grocery store on our snow day. I do add a bottle of Guiness Stout to mine after the beans are tender and lime juice, chicken or beef broth, olive oil, bay leaf, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. And sometimes a ham bone goes in the pot after the beans are tender when I have one in the freezer. 

No cornbread with our beans this night because I had my buttermilk biscuits as the shortcake for our Florida strawberries.


Thankfully I had some heavy cream in the fridge so we had whipped cream with our berries too. 

What's your favorite thing to cook when it snows? Do you ever crave something weird like I do? Has anyone ever eaten Salmon Mousse? I bet not, thus no recipe here. 

January is almost over. How has it been for you, on a scale from 1 to 10? Compared to some years, I'll give this one a 10. That's right, a 10. And this is from someone who always used to agree with author Abbie Graham:

I am not wholly committed to January. I do not entirely trust it as a month.

God bless you, dear family and friends. In January and always.  



"When it snows, ain't it thrilling?"

22 comments:

  1. Well, that is some fancy snow day!! It's like a four star restaurant meal. Almost makes me want to grab my snowshoes and trek on over...almost!! Hahaha! Happy Blog Anniversay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim! Snow brings out some unusual cravings in me!

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad that I had occasion to make three kinds of soup in early January, and they have been keeping me cozy all month. I had a lot of good company here and away, during this January, which seems to have made it go by fast. I noticed that there is a 70-degree day forecasted for the first week of February.

    And I haven't been in any snow, though it was snowy in Portland last week, where I merely saw it from the plane and didn't crunch on any walking into the airport to get my next flight.

    I like cooking in the winter especially, rain or snow or just plain cold. I can feel the love coming from your kitchen <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might not have seen snow but you did see some incredible sights in your recent travel. Those winter desert scenes were a sight to astound. 70 degrees soon? You'll be out in your garden for sure!

      Delete
  3. As always, a lovely post. Your enthusiasm and love for life pops right off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rare treat for your area to get that much snow! I don't blame your little doggies for not wanting to go outside in it. My mom has a small dog (Bichon Frise mix) and she has to shovel her deck, down the steps and a path in her back yard just so Marley can go outside to do his business. She always ends up hurting her back doing this. Friends of hers found out she was doing this and the man offered to come and shovel for her next time we have a snowstorm. But my mom is so stubborn and independent, I doubt she'd call on him. :-( Unfortunately, Marley was never trained to go on doggie pee pads (my mom didn't get him until he was older) so he won't go on them.

    You are right - I've never had salmon mousse. How did you know? ha ha Bet Brian would take a taste of that and probably like it, too. He eats just about anything - except for ice cream and chocolate, if you can believe that. I'll take the gelato though, especially on a hot, summer day.

    I sure wish I could eat that big bowl of beans - now those look so good to me! But I can't digest them. They make me very bloated and sick. Runs in my mom's side of the family. My aunt is actually allergic to all legumes. I have bought Rancho Gordo beans before though and like you, soaked them overnight and then used them in recipes. I can tolerate just a few of them if they're mixed into another dish. (Brian eats the rest.)

    Regarding your beautiful china, where do you keep all your different place settings? Do you have a big hutch to store it in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Marley's reluctance, Melanie. BreeBree and James Mason grew up with a doggie door and had such a problem when we adopted them. So much that we started something we've often wished we hadn't. To encourage them to go potty we gave them a couple of green beans as a reward when they came in. Now we always have to stock canned green beans and rinse them 3 times if we can't find salt free ones. I do wish your mother would let her neighbor help with snow shoveling!
      Where do I keep all my china? In about 5 places! I'll have to show pictures sometime.Thank you, Melanie!

      Delete
  5. A rare snowfall is a gift, isn't it? Like you, I wander from window to window just taking it all in. I don't know if I've had salmon mousse or not, but I think it would be something I like, as I enjoy dishes like tomato aspic. I don't enjoy beans, though.
    We're in the midst of an "atmospheric river" - lots of rain and temperatures above normal. I did some baking today and also meatballs to use in a variety of dishes, and I breaded and froze some chicken tenders for when the little grands come over for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely meet someone else who likes tomato aspic! Only two of our children like it and RH manages to eat it only because of the delicious mayonnaise dressing I make to go with it. He would love your meatballs though, I've only made them once but should more as he does love them. We'd both love to have your chicken tenders with the little grands, and I'd want to play with the felt breakfast foods you make them!

      Delete
  6. No, I have never tried salmon mousse, but it makes a lovely presentation!

    My favorite snow day meal is chili with cornbread (slathered in butter with honey). I make chili a variety of ways, but our favorite is a variety of beans - pinto, white beans, kidney, etc - and either bison or venison for the meat. And lots of Hatch's green chiles for spice. Served with sour cream and shredded cheddar.

    Your snow looks so lovely! What a treat when it's a rare occurrence. And when you have a gem of a husband to keep things in running order! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your chili sounds like the perfect snow day dinner! I would definitely go for the bison and I always keep a stack of Hatch chiles in the pantry! Our grocery stores run out of them often so I stock up. They're so much better than plain chiles. That reminds me of a dish I used to make with them, Texas Torte. Time to dig out that recipe.

      Delete
  7. So many delicious foods on here today, Dewena. And you have such charming table settings with each meal. Those snowmen cups sure are cute. How wonderful you've had your blog for ten years! You had a good amount of snow already. It must look so pretty around your neck of the woods. That strawberry shortcake looks scrumptious. And I love the kitchen view looking outside to all that snow. Here's to more wonderful years with your special and heartwarming blog, Dewena.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheri! And at last we got some of that beautiful snow that I admire so much on your blog in winter. Thank you for your blogging wishes to me, it does add great pleasure to my life, as I'm sure you understand.

      Delete
  8. My heartfelt congratulations on your 10th blog anniversary.
    Your salmon mousse with dill sauce looks delicious and I would love to eat the pinto beans too, not to mention the dessert of buttermilk biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream... lovely.
    Today I had mashed potatoes with mushrooms and parsley and I also treated myself to a dessert of quark with raspberries and cream :-))
    Otherwise, I also like to cook soups, e.g. Lentil soup with beef or pumpkin soup. Or I fry chicken breast and lots of vegetables - I like that too... my husband always has to have a little more
    meat.
    I give my January a solid 10 - because there was fine snow with sunshine... yay.
    Many greetings to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Viola! Your mashed potatoes with mushrooms and parsley is a dish I turn to often. But I had to stop and google Quark, "a mild, fresh cheese and has a smooth, creamy texture." That does sound delicious with your raspberries and cream!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful winter photos!! I really liked them! Well done to you for 10 years of the Blog!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katerinas, I appreciate that!

      Delete
  10. Those plates are so beautiful! I also love the snow but only when I don't have to go outside and shovel. My big extravagance is paying someone to plow and do the walks. Since the pandemic, we don't get snow days but are (not unreasonably) supposed to do our work from home. I don't think I have any special snow day foods but am more likely to make lunch - I am always late in the morning so often just grab a yogurt to bring with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Constance. Yes, everything changed with remote working, didn't it? No snow days for you but I imagine you see some beautiful snow where you live.

      Delete
  11. Happy 10 year anniversary to Dewena's Window!! I am so grateful for your beautiful blog, as this is where I have spent many, many hours getting pleasureably lost in your heartfelt, inspiring words and images which always magically transport me to your neck of the woods! And what snowy woods they are in this delightful celebratory post, Dewena!

    Admittedly, I am not a fan of aspics, mousse or gellatin, but your photos of your salmon mousse certainly are 'sway worthy'! Your pinto bean dish looks very appetizing, healthy and hearty and I would definitely enjoy it. Of course, it goes without saying that your strawberry and whipped cream topped biscuits, for me, would be the 'icing on the cake' of this snow day menu!

    Snowstormy days in Toronto are cozy when there's roast beef stuffed with slices of garlic and whole allspice, rubbed with oregano, onion salt and olive oil, slowly baking in the oven. Mashed or baked potatoes, and a fresh garden salad are the usual sides, and something very decadent for dessert, like a chocolate fudge cake or apple pie a la mode is a must!

    It is through Dewena's Window, one of the infinite number of residences in cyberspace, that I got to know one of my favourite people on this planet - namely, YOU! Here's to the next 10!

    Love,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Poppy! Can you believe it's been 12 years since we "met" on our blogs? So you're not a fan of gelatin based recipes? Maybe it helps to have come from the U.S. South and particularly the 1950s, although I think that England's food history also includes jelly moulds. But sign me up for your snow day dinner in Toronto, please! And speaking of your apple pie reminds me that I never included here the one I made recently that took me hours and hours. Must do it sometime so I can get opinions on whether it was just me or was it a particularly complicated recipe. Maybe both as I always take much more time than a recipe estimates. By the way, your oregano on the roast reminds me that I need to add that to my own roast beef.

      Delete