Sunday, September 1, 2024

September

 

 I'm a little surprised to find myself blogging at Dewena's Window again but life has a little something missing without it and September 1st seemed a good time to try. Maybe I can hit publish by midnight tonight even though it's been around Robin Hood's barn to pull it off after my Mac Pro decided to punish me for ignoring it all summer. 

Back in May I made like a flying squirrel who lost her footing and glided to the ground a tad bit harder than intended, which was not at all. Majorly bruised from broken toes to not broken shoulder, my knee taking the brunt of it, I spent three months visiting my favorite physical therapist. Thank you, Patrick! 

But late spring and summer compensations were plentiful, as when our firstborn brought me enough beautiful yellow roses for the whole house.


And even trimmed and arranged them for me!


Our lives have been quiet here this summer but many joys are constant. There's always the fun of cookbooks and cooking.


I'm so sorry for poor picture quality! Not only do I have shaky hands and worsening eyesight but BeFunky decided to make changes too that I can't figure out. 

Judith Huxley's Marinated Olives with Citrus and Fennel (seed) lured me into making them even though I felt a little guilty because I usually only make them when a certain daughter-in-law comes to town.


I think there's a recipe for this in my Judith Huxley label but I'll never hit publish on this post by midnight if I try to find it and link it. After the olives chill in fridge for a week or two I make Alison Roman's Vinegar Chicken with crushed olives. I shouldn't have skipped crushing the olives this time but it was still delicious.


There have been meals to cook and pretty tables to set and I kept taking pictures of them even though I wasn't blogging. And there have been good books to read before bed and books to listen to on my free library app while I wash dishes and fold laundry. 

Right now it's Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers, an old favorite about American heiresses hunting for husbands among the financially strapped British aristocracy.


 Quite a different recent one was Playin' Possum.


It's about the Possum himself, country music star George Jones. The early chapters were frankly depressing due to his cocaine addiction and domestic violence, the book written by Nancy Jones, his fourth and final wife. If I had been actually sitting down reading the book I would have returned it to the library early but listening to it while I worked I kept on listening and was glad I did because it was good to know George and Nancy were happy in his later years.

You see, we old timers here in Nashville love George Jones who was a mighty sweet guy when he was sober. And that voice still gets to me and I agree with writer Julia Reed that George's "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is the "Best Country music song ever made."

I miss George Jones and I miss Julia Reed.

And now that I'm 81 and no longer wish away my least favorite month, August, I'll probably even miss the summer of 2024.

Still, I am more than delighted to welcome September and the hope of cooler temperatures. There's just something promising about September, isn't there? If I could remember how to embed, is that the word for it, videos from YouTube here I would end with a link to Walter Huston singing "The September Song." 

Do you know Walter Huston, Canadian actor of silent films and the talkies? Father to director John Huston, grandfather to Angelica Huston and Danny Huston? And I think there's an uncle somewhere in the mix.

"The September Song" that we love sung by so many wonderful singers was actually written for Walter Huston and he sang it in a play on Broadway and if you go to the trouble to find it on YouTube these September days you might see, as I did that he can tear your heart out with his poignant interpretation. 

I recently fell down the Walter Huston rabbit hole after watching a 1950 movie called September Affair with Joan Fontaine and Joseph Cotton. With dresses by Edith Head! And Walter Huston sings The Song! 

Sorry about the length of all this. Rabbit holes are my favorite pasttime now in my 80s and I give myself permission to indulge but I do feel sorry for any reader here. 

 A long long time from May to September,

September. November.

These few precious days I'll spend with you!

      And I'm mush. Every single time.


19 comments:

  1. I enjoyed my trip down your rabbit hole! It's a cool morning here in Iowa, and I welcome the cooler days to come. I enjoy listening to books as I work around the house also. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! So nice to see you here and I'm glad Iowa is having a cool morning. Send some our way, please!

      I don't know why I held out against listening to books so long. Of course that can't compare with holding a book in my hands and adding post it notes and annotation to a good book but I finally realized I would get through so many more books if I listened to them too and now they are such a blessing to me.

      Delete
  2. It's always a joy to see that you've posted, Dewena. I love following you down the rabbit holes! and I always learn something new. And end up with new lists for my TBR:) I'm sorry to hear of your mishaps and hope that you are healing well. How sweet of your son to bring the yellow roses. Thank you for celebrating September with such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very kind of you, Karen! And oh that TBR folder of mine that constantly grows, thanks to blog friends and podcasts I listen to also. I imagine September where you live is already beginning to look like Autumn there? Enjoy it for those of us who'll have to wait a while!

      Delete
  3. Dewena, I became immediately anxious on hearing that you even considered not blogging here anymore, so much so that my mind jumped to the idea of "Must have chocolate." I know that none of us can go on forever, but I don't want you to stop before I do!! If there is something promising about September, as you say -- and I love that thought -- I hope it includes the promise that you will be blogging again, and often.

    I truly understand that you were distracted by your fall and injuries, which sound quite overwhelming and consuming -- may God speed your complete healing! But now that you are recuperating, I hope you can continue to enjoy sharing the sights in your rabbit holes with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I put you in a Must have chocolate mode then I will take that as a very nice compliment. Thank you, Gretchen! I do hope to keep chasing those rabbits, about the only chasing I do of any kind. You're so kind!

      Delete
  4. I’m so glad to see your post, I’ve missed it, I have the same calendar my daughter gives it to me every year. I’m 81 also, so I relate to most things you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What a rare treat it is to find a friend here that is my age. And we each have a daughter who gifts us a Karen Adams calendar each year, how amazing! September's is a quiet little design but oh my how fabulous was July's with its Olympic sparkles. My daughter Christy has wonderful self control and only looks at each month's design as it comes due but I have to look at all the months when I open it Christmas Day. I hope your daughter buys one for herself too as it has become very special to us to welcome each month by taking time about sending each other a picture of the new month's design.

      Do you save your old years? I can't bear to throw such pretty things away but I guess my kids will do that someday when they find them each one wrapped in its pretty ribbon.

      Delete
  5. It was good to see a post from you again, Dewena. I'm so sorry you took a fall and broke some toes, ouch painful. Your chicken dish looks delicious, and Jess would enjoy it, as she's such an olive lover. The yellow roses your son brought you are so pretty. There's something about cheerful yellow roses in the summertime.

    Wishing you pleasant September days, Dewena, and I hope to see some more blog posts from you this Fall. They are always so charming.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, thank you so much! I appreciate your sweet words and hope your own September Is pleasant too!

      Delete
  6. Hey, sweet Dewena! Good to see you posting! I took a long blog break, too. Your writing reminds me of Gladys Taber. I loved this little walk with you. Thanks for taking us along. Your food talk is always so elegant and enticing. So sorry you got all banged up. Thank God for good physical therapists. Wander down your rabbit holes anytime. I enjoyed this one very much. Take care, my dear! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim! To be even in the same sentence with dear Gladys Taber is an honor. I hope you enjoyed your blog break and I apologize for being a few days late replying to you for my unintended absence from here--busy family days plus heartbreak over another school shootings made blogging seem too hard.
      You take care, too!

      Delete
  7. Oh no Dewena, I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Been there myself and it is not fun. I hope you are 100% mended and ready for fall. I'm going to have to watch that movie now. I'm a sucker for the oldies and Joseph Cotton and Joan Fontaine are favorites and I've never seen that one!! Have you ever seen Random Harvest? It's a bit heavy handed, but I love that movie when fall rolls around. Feel good my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim and yes, Random Harvest is a favorite. Anything with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon is a winner. I think the two Mrs. Miniver movies are my favorite.

      Delete
  8. Hello Dewena! It is an absolute delight to see a blog post from you again. You can go down any rabbit hole you want...your writing is delightful! I have a marinated olive recipe from you that I believe is similar to the one you posted. But have I ever made it? Admitedly, no. I have piles of recipes that I've never gotten to. They are organized according to category, so I suppose that counts for something? I am so sorry that you fell and were hurt; sounds awful. I don't think there's anything they can do for broken toes either, is there? I hope you are feeling much better now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie! And I'm doing well now except for little electric like shocks in my knee still remaining.
      I have a beautiful system set up for categories too and there's nothing I like better than working on it--when what I should be doing is actually cooking more new things!

      Delete
  9. Hello Dewena, I saw your comment at Kim's blog (Nut Brown Cottage) and thought I must hop over to your blog and say hello :)
    So hello and happy September wishes.

    I was sorry to read you fell but pleased you are recovering.

    September Song is a favourite of mine, I'm singing the words as I type.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, thank you so much! I'm happy to know that September Song is a favorite of yours too!

      Delete
  10. Dear Dewena,
    How very very lovely to see a post from you. We've been away, so I am catching up on all the posts in my feed. The chicken with olives recipe I found on your sidebar under the chicken label and I immediately bookmarked it. I love the combination of olives and chicken.
    I am so sorry that you fell, but I'm glad to hear that Patrick has been a help in your healing. May your recovery continue.
    It's been a busy time since we arrived home on Thursday night. We stopped in the Okanagan region which is famous for produce. I bought 20 pounds of Roma tomatoes and made 13 pints of salsa, and 10 pints of diced tomatoes. Feels good to be done, but now I'm tired and enjoying catching up with my blogging friends.
    Hugs,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete