Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Still Celebrating


Since Mother's Day and my birthday come so close together, I celebrate the whole week long. Wouldn't you?



My daughter took me shopping to spend birthday money from my kids because I badly needed some Florida clothes. How I wish the Lilly Pulitzer department had clothes in my size because these colors were so yummy. 

Now I'm going to do something that feels so awkward, show you what I picked out. You see, I hate shopping for clothes. I only do it every few years when I have to and usually I just wander around aimlessly, finally desperately choosing something, anything.

But with the patient help of Christy, I actually enjoyed this shopping trip and I think the things I chose with her guidance actually do look like the yummy Lilly Pulitzer colors.



What do you think? 



I also picked out a cool sunhat since my old Valley View sunhat was in tatters. Tatters, not taters. For some reason that made me think of the old Jimmy Dickens' song, "Take an Old Cold Tater and Wait." Boy, does that ever date me! Anybody else ever heard of that song? I bet not.

The highlight of my birthday week was driving down to Orlando to visit my mother, or being driven down because our terrific son-in-law volunteered to do that, taking a whole day away from his business.




My beautiful darling mother is 91 years young. And this is the way I still think of her. 

I had not seem my mother in four years. (I know, isn't that awful? We just don't travel. We had to MOVE to Florida in order to be able to see her.) Mama's memory is not what it was but when I walked into her room and my sister asked her if she knew who had come to visit her, she immediately said my name. That was the best birthday gift I received.

Have any of you seen "Nothing Left Unsaid" on television? The conversations between Anderson Cooper and his mother Gloria Vanderbilt? If you ever have the chance, please watch it. The conversations between the two of them were riveting but also, it was a beautiful thing to see Anderson watching his mother, realizing the importance of what may be some of the final conversations between them. Priceless.




Back home again in Ponte Vedra Beach, what did we see in the sky as we stood on the front porch? Can you see it? Yes, it's the Goodyear blimp!

There's this little shindig they throw here a few miles from us each year called The Players Championship. If you follow golf at all you know what I'm talking about. I don't know diddly squat about golf but I learned pretty quickly that this thing is HUGE.

You know how we snowbirds go the store back home and stock up when snow is forecast? Well next year that's what we'll do before The Players Championship happens again. Because you do not want to get stuck in traffic running to the Winn-Dixie for milk. 



Speaking of Winn-Dixie, they make sure you know you better stock up when you shop there before The Players but they're not talking about milk.

One night Christy and Bryan brought the best pizza I've ever had to our house and I made strawberry shortcake because that's what my Mama always made for my birthday cake. When Christy and Bryan drove home they got caught in the Toby Keith concert traffic that was part of The Players honoring the military, and their normal 10 minute or less drive turned into 30 minutes bumper to bumper. 

Here's a link to Sunday's winner just in case there are any golfers reading.

I hope this hasn't been too long a post sharing some of the highlights of our 4th week here in Florida--I can't believe it's been four weeks now!

I have to show you one more picture because I had one late birthday card come in the mail yesterday--all the way from Budapest!



Our youngest son just returned from two weeks in Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, filming a travel show. I hope I can show you some of the pictures he took sometime and I'll be sure to let you know when the show airs. He had a wonderful time getting to know people in that beautiful part of our world. 

Time to go hunt up one of the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I made yesterday.


After all...

I'm still celebrating!








19 comments:

  1. I am so happy to read of your adventures in your new location. It looks beautiful there in sunny Florida. My husband loves golf; he and our son went to the Masters this year for the third year in a row. I know about The Players since Mike watches. Your new clothes look bright and happy. My black wardrobe would be terribly out of place in Florida. I'm so glad you got to visit your mother and that she knew you right away. Your new home looks beautiful from what I can see in the photos. It must be fun to arrange all you things in a new place. I look forward to future posts from your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. The one thing that led me here was your beautiful description about yourself being the woman at the typewriter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dewena, I am glad you live near your family now. I love the picture of your mother...she's beautiful. Oh also I like that green top and snazzy leggings. :) When you wrote that your mom said your name when you walked in her room..it made me smile. I want to tell a wee story. I met a funny set of sisters on our trip to California. One was telling of asking her mother, who was in a home, "do you know me? What's my name?" She said her mother knocked her off her feet when she said, "Don't you know your own damn name?" We all had to laugh, because it was apparent their mother still had her sense of humor from everything they had told us. Blessings to you Dewena. xoxo, Susie
    p.s. Yes I do remember that song..our parents made us kids watch" grand ole opry" and Midwestern hayride all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Dewena! Your life seems full of new and wonderful adventures at present. That in itself is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday and you should celebrate it as long as you want. I try to let it pass without acknowledgement.... I like all the clothes you chose...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post was not too long!!! it could have gone on for ages and I would love every word.
    I LOVE lily Pulitzer and YES! it looks like you matched beautifully.
    I especially love the lower right one... oh those colors... like icy sherbet on a hot summer day.
    and your best birthday present. tears. you know.
    I've missed your posts so much! and now... this feast!
    love and hugs dsm. XOXOXO♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so much to say about your post. First, it was not too long. I enjoyed reading every moment of your birthday celebration. Happy birthday to you. And what better way to spend it than with your family. I love the idea you have to buy Florida clothes. And so pretty! I can't wait for you to post pics of you wearing those bright clothes. Love the hat by the way. And how sweet that your mother said your name. It lets us know that the bonds we have will never be broken. Please give us more posts of your new life. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound so happy, your outfits are cute and how wonderful to have a week long celebration.

    Belated Happy Birthday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun, I enjoyed this post. :-) I love the birthday gift from your mom. xx oo I understand the delight in this, because I also have a family member who had dementia.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your clothes look lovely Dewena, and I'm sure they look fabulous on you with your coloring.

    That's interesting about the golf event. I actually think I heard about that area getting crowds because of it a while back. Like you, I'm not into golf and wouldn't have given it a second thought.

    I must confess I don't know that song, and would I be terrible to say I'm glad? There isn't much that makes me feel young these days lol.

    I'm still miserable. Ended up going to the dr. because I developed a fever but my head still feels like it's about to explode. I may try an acupuncturist today.

    xxx
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, dear Dewena! Yes, isn't it wonderful to have our birthdays and mother's day so close together? I love that turquoise top, it's so pretty. That will be perfect for the Florida sunshine. What a treasured picture of your Mother. I'm so happy that you are close by to see her now. The pizza sounds delicious. I just had pizza tonight too (had a rough day at the dentist and didn't feel like cooking). :) Wow, your son gets to visit all these interesting places while filming a travel show, how exciting!

    I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Dewena, and keep celebrating!

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated Happy Birthday Dewena. I wonder what day your birthday was, as I had a birthday close to Mother's day too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new clothes, and you were smart to get that hat. Wear it ALWAYS when you are in the sun. Florida's sun is so much more intense that other places! I love the story about your mother knowing you when you visited. A mother's love never fails. So glad you are settling in your wonderful new home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh happy happy happy birthday my sweet friend! and it sounds like it was very very nice! So glad to see you had stopped in and liked my mermaid post, I sure did have fun writing that little story for our little granddaughter. I do love to go see the mermaids and will never turn down a chance to do so.The mermaids live in Weekie Wachee Springs....I hope you can get to go see them soon! I am so glad you got to go see your Mother and I love the old picture of her! Just lovely and so old fashioned. My birthday is also in a few days.....so lets just celebrate together shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post! You sound so happy. Celebrating all week long sounds good to me. The clothes you picked out are very pretty. Love the photo of your mom - is that you she is holding? I have not seen that show with Anderson Cooper. Is it on Netflix? I love Anderson, so I would love to see this show. How exciting that your son got to film in Budapest (and the other countries)! Does he freelance or work for a company? Sorry so many questions in this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, why not celebrate birthdays for more than a day!
    Special occasions are to be enjoyed - I always like to keep my birthday cards up for at least one week ...sometimes longer. They are so lovely to look at and all the different designs too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Day! Love the outfits you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday, Dewena! Your new clothes look very tropical, so enjoy wearing them in good health! How nice to see your beautiful mama, and to receive the gift of her recognizing you. I really want to get to Budapest, Vienna and Prague, so I hope you do show us some of your son's pictures. Looking forward to hearing more about his show. Hope you are still celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had a great week-long birthday celebration! Happy Belated Birthday! Loved the sweet picture of your Mom. 91 is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete