Monday, August 27, 2018

MFK Fisher's Gazpacho Salad



If it's still in the 90s in the daytime and 70s at night, it's still Summer and it's hot, I don't care how many Autumn pictures I see on Pinterest.



It's still aspic weather in the South and will be in my house as long as the hot weather lasts, although I've been known to serve tomato aspic on Christmas Eve.

I did one post on it at my other blog back in June but MFK Fisher helped me take my recipe to a whole new level when I made her Gazpacho Salad this week. 




It turns out that hers was just a fancier name for it and I guess that gazpacho salad does sound more gourmet than tomato aspic.

The recipe for the basic tomato aspic is back on my blog post here but I updated it with Fisher's recipe in Joan Reardon's delightful book on her called M. F. K. Fisher among the Pots and Pans.



I added 1 cup of beef consommé, 1 red sweet bell pepper diced, 1 sweet red onion, chopped, and 1 cucumber peeled and diced. And I added a couple of chopped jalapeños from my garden. All of these chopped vegetables were so good in the salad!

And I added a cup of chili sauce, something I saw somewhere, can't remember where, and thought would be good and was it ever! Extra spiciness!

I didn't make her dressing of 1 clove garlic mashed into 1/2 cup olive oil with salt and pepper because we love my own dressing of mayo with a little olive oil, lemon juice and snipped basil so much.



I know from emails on my other post that very few of you like aspics. But I stand with Julia Reed (I love her column in Garden & Gun) when she wrote in her cookbook Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties that we congeal everything in the South. 

Her mother once "had a four-day house party during which she served an almost exclusively gelatin-based menu...crabmeat mousse, a strawberry mousse, two kinds of tomato aspic, and a charlotte russe."

I would have been a happy member of that house party! 

Now I can just bet that no one is going to try the Gazpacho Salad recipe and I'll put money on not one of you trying the entree of our meal. But you might just like my dessert recipe, so stay with me, please.



Are you asking what in tarnation is that ugly entree? I never said I was a food stylist but believe it or not this was good.



On a slice of pumpernickel for each of us I spread avocado mashed with a little lemon juice, next I put on some good wild caught canned sardines, next went thin slices of cucumber with black pepper and a squirt of lemon juice and then I topped it off with jalapeño slices. 



And there was our dinner. I know that Poppy loves sardines, although hers are fresh caught ones from Crete. Anyone else out there like these protein packed little fish that have the same omega 3 that salmon does?

Enough of that, let's have dessert! What about pecan pie? 

That purple is just a sprig of Joe Pye Weed hanging over the pie from a vase on the table. 



Have you ever tried an Authentic Pecan Pie? One without nasty corn syrup in it? 

I've had this recipe for years and the clipping said it was by a Carolina cook. "And don't ever use corn syrup! That ruins the consistency. Authentic pecan pie is jelly-like, translucent with sparkle. Just start with a pound of brown sugar, then add three eggs, about two eggshells of milk, a big splash of vanilla, some salt, and a lot of pecans."

I baked it at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.



Easiest pecan pie ever and you wouldn't believe the good flavor. I have several recipes for pecan pie but RH says this is his favorite. I only had a small piece of the pie and left the rest for RH, and he took a slice to Zack.

Besides, my favorite dessert is another serving of aspic. And I'll take fish and seafood any day for my protein rather than poultry or beef or pork. 

Maybe, just maybe, I've been influenced by MFK Fisher's thoughts in Serve It Forth.


For many old people, eating is the only pleasure left...And between gobbling down an indistinguishable mess of heavy meat and bread, or savouring a delicate broiled trout or an aspic full of subtle vegetable flavours, how few of us would choose the distressful insomnia that follows the first for the light easy rest of the second?

Okay, I really don't think of myself as old yet but I'm already finding that I sleep better after a supper of vegetable stuffed aspic and fish or seafood than red meat. Wild caught Alaskan salmon is usually my choice but I think that Rainbow or brook trout is my very favorite fish and I have an excellent recipe from Judith Jones for that. 

I wonder if RH would agree to trout and pecan pie for Thanksgiving Dinner? 





Oh, and thank you so much for ideas for using the copper gutter in the garden! I think that RH is now thinking about making it into a water fountain if he can find a pretty basin for the water to fall into.

35 comments:

  1. Whoa!! You've been busy! You know - I love to cook, but every time I follow a recipe it turns out so UGLY. But it's always good. And I guess that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathie! Yes, it's all that matters but we might not want to try to compete with the food bloggers, right? I'm convinced that talent must be something people are born with and I wasn't!

      Delete
  2. I actually would have enjoyed your dinner very much! I've got nothing against sardines, and I love avocado. Gazpacho is one of my favorite things, so I would probably enjoy your salad. We're trying to eat lighter at dinner time now, so I'm going to pin this, and give it a try someday soon. As for the pecan pie, well, I don't know that I'd be able to just a small piece of that scrumptious looking pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but it wasn't too difficult to resist more of the pie. I did have my stash of dark chocolate!

      Delete
  3. Not fond of sardines, but I make a tuna avocado salad that is really good. Mashed avocado, a small can of tuna, a small can of diced green chile and enough mayonnaise to bring it together and make it creamy. I add garlic powder, salt and cumin. It looks awful, but it's great chilled and eaten with tortilla chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like tomato aspic, but haven't had it for years! The sandwich looks good other than the sardines. I have never tried those - perhaps I should. I do like seafood. I have a pecan pie recipe called Kentucky Derbe Pie that has no corn syrup. It's a family favourite, and so easy to make.
    Yes, eat what you like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, you're probably someone who shouldn't eat sardines. I read that people who've had a kidney stone shouldn't because of something in the protein, I can' t remember what. But if I remember right, aren't you the one who rushed to the hospital for that during a camping trip?

      Your Kentucky Derbe Pie sounds good, maybe it's on your food blog?

      Delete
  5. REAL home cookin'. Yum! It all looks good and yes i do love real pecan pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbi, I bet Charleston cooks make aspics, or their grandmothers did!

      Delete
  6. Your dinner looks pretty good to me. I just might have to buy some sardines to give this a try. :-)

    I'm trying to eat lighter at supper also.

    That pecan pie sounds and looks so delicious. I want to try this recipe.

    Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine, if you want to try sardines we like them added to a good pasta salad with lots of chopped vegetables. I have to admit that the sardine sandwich was just a little bit rich for us. Maybe because it was open-face without another piece of bread taking away the richness?

      Delete
  7. LOL Dewena you have me pegged!!! Not into sardines much. Love the pecan pie recipe you use. I am not a fan of corn syrup and your pie looks so much nicer and the ingredients are easy. I am going to borrow this one for Thanksgiving.
    Hugs sweet friend have a good week.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it, Kris! Never fear, you are probably in the great majority who don't care for the little fish.

      Wow, Thanksgiving will be here before we're ready for it, won't it?

      Delete
  8. my father LOVED sardines! he would simply open the can and eat them with a long singular pack of saltine crackers. he would think he'd died and gone to heaven with your take on them!
    he always tried to get me to eat them. I think I did once!
    maybe I could stand them the way you've served them.
    you always say your dishes don't look good or delicious. you're WRONG. they're beautiful!!! and no. I won't do the aspic. but ohmygosh. it sounds wonderful.
    and the pecan pie? it's amazing. just shoot me now. or slow drip insulin! LOLOL! one piece? are you kidding? XOXOXO
    I'll bless your name in my coma. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of military men of our parents' age probably grew up with tins of sardines being easily available. Maybe they had them in the service? I remember my father eating them on saltines too, with hot sauce! Tam, I bet you would like MFK's gazpacho! And I would stick to 1 bite of pie, if you would. Or maybe 2.

      Delete
  9. Would you believe I came across a bag of pecans in the fridge today and wondered what I would do with them? Your pecan pie recipe sounds so delicious. I never have cared for the kind with the jelly-like filling.

    I can say if I like aspic or not, because I've never had it. But the tomato recipe looks delicious and refreshing. I would prefer your dressing to Ms. Fisher's. And I love the cover of that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the cover of Reardon's book pretty? And Karen, there are beautiful colored drawings of many of MFK's kitchens in the book. I love that!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing the Pecan Pie recipe. My husband loves Pecan Pie and I always make it with the corn syrup. This will be nice to make for him and no corn syrup. YAY!
    I'd like to come taste test in your kitchen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you what, Carla, you're welcome to come taste test if you'll bring along some of that garden wisdom you have! And beside, you're the only other canna lover I've found among my blog friends so far. I've got to do a post on ours soon, just for you!

      Delete
  11. Like Carla’s hubby, fisherman’s favorite dessert is pecan pie, but you might as well take a piece and slap it on my hips. It’s so fattening! True, I’ve only made it with corn syrup but who knew? Well, now I do, so maybe if he’s really nice to me I’ll make some. As for aspic, anything gel like kinda gives me the creepy crawlers so I’ll pass, but I am 100% with you on the trout. Absolutely my favorite fish and ALWAYS order it if available, which sadly it usually isn’t.

    I had the most delish gazpacho in Sicily. No chunky veggies visible but the taste was sublime!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doreen, I didn't know you loved trout too! I love it simply broiled with butter and lemon and served with chopped parsley on top or fancied up all kinds of ways. If you come to Nashville we have to go get a whole one and cook it Judith Jones way. And a pecan pie for the fisherman and RH (who is honestly not fond of trout but will eat it if that's all there is).

      And you will have to teach me how to make Sicilian gazpacho!

      Delete
  12. Oh, yes I would love the sardine open-faced sandwich. My husband, who does not enjoy eating, has just bought a Magic Bullet to make juices. I love the appearance and texture of real food and I love seafood. I enjoy rereading MFK Fisher because she is so descriptive in her writing about food. My nana used to make tomato aspic and serve it to us in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine not enjoying eating? I remember when RH once told me he wished he could just take a pill for meals because they took so much time. Heaven help me!

      It's not long now until you will be traveling to where some of the best food in the world is. Think of me at one meal, please!

      Delete
  13. Wow! What a menu! I am so glad to hear corn syrup being forbidden, because I'd rather not use that at all anymore if I can help it. I made a pecan pie once - or was it a walnut pie? Walnuts are what we have many more of here in California.

    It is very interesting to me that you are writing about "congealed" or gelatin salads this week, because I just reread an old post of mine that was mostly written by my friend Myriah (sparked by her being with me at the lake last week) about her grandmother's hospitality and her many Jello recipes! Maybe you would like it:
    https://gretchenjoanna.com/2009/08/23/jello-and-hospitality/

    It doesn't surprise me at all that Southerners are fond of this hospitable food :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I can't click on the link here from my computer but I was able to this morning from my phone and I enjoyed that post so much, especially knowing that it was written by your friend who recently enjoyed some cabin getaway time with you. I loved her grandmother! What a woman she must have been, having the gift of hospitality definitely. I'll be reading it again soon and recommend it highly to anyone who reads your comment.

      Delete
  14. I was fascinated with aspic when I first starting cooking. I wanted to make pate in aspic...maybe I will someday, but I'm sure I'll be the only one eating it. ;-D

    I think that sardines on open faced bread with all the goodies sounds great. My dad always ate sardines as a little snack right there on the sofa with the coffee table as, well, his table!, We kiddos would take tiny bites. We loved the saltiness. But, that was waaaaaaay back when. I'd love to make this, maybe with some canned tuna or crab. You reeled me in, Dewena!!!

    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You reeled me in, Dewena", now that, my dear Jane is why you are a writer! Well done and I think crab would be wonderful like that. I already eat tunafish sandwiches open-face.

      Delete
  15. Well, my dear friend...I'm afraid I would go very hungry at your house, lol. Though I have to say, I would at least try your gazpacho aspic. It's funny...my mom and her family are from the South (KY), but I don't remember ever having aspic or any other congealed foods at family gatherings or even in our own household. My grandma (my mom's mom) made beautiful, fancy jello molds, but that was back in the late 60's and early 70's when that was popular.

    You are lucky you can handle eating jalapenos - I'm a lightweight and those are way too hot for me! I do use them once in awhile in certain recipes, but I have to remove the seeds and membranes and just use the outer pepper part.

    I'm not a pie baker, but my mom sure is. She used to use corn syrup back in the day when we didn't know how bad it was for us, but she doesn't anymore.

    Well, speaking of supper, I'm off to get mine on the table. Leftover chicken (which I probably won't eat), corn on the cob, roasted potatoes, and a big salad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dewena, your pecan pie looks so scrumptious. You know, I've been craving pecan pie for awhile now, every since last Christmas, so I hope someone in the family makes it this year haha. The pumpernickel and spread looks good, but I'm not fond of sardines. Lots of Yummy foods on here today. It sounds like you enjoy your meals as much as I do. : )

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is funny. Throughout August we've all been saying that summer is not so bad this year, we've known much worse. But the last week has really let this summer down, so hot and humid, although if you get up very early in the morning (which I do) you can tell that autumn is on its way. Can you believe that I have never tried aspics is my life?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sardines are good!
    Your pecan pie recipe sounds delicious, a popular dish I think!

    Happy September to you - this year is flying by!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dewena, firstly, I have to disagree with you: your presentations of all your delicious dishes ARE very pretty! But, as pretty as they are, I'd have to pass on all of them, apart from the Authentic Pecan Pie, since I dislike avocados, as well as most cold concoctions with jelly-like consistencies (including jello!) - heck, even RAW tomatoes are a challenge. So, I'll save all my precious calories for that delectably decadent sweet and silky pie; it looks SO good! I can almost taste it!

    I don't think I've ever tried trout, but I bet it is tasty. How sweet of you to remember that I love fresh sardines! Brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with oregano and rosemary, spiced with salt and pepper, topped with slices of lemon, then grilled, they are scrumptious!

    Thanks for sharing your always interesting, culinary delights! Wonder what you've been cooking this weekend!

    xoxo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  20. It all looks wonderful but I'll never make any of it, except, maybe, the pie. I have had sardines, fresh, and enjoyed them. Of course, that might have been because it was in Tarifa, Spain and they were right off the boat.
    Just this week I told someone, "I'm not old; I'm older" and have a LOT of pleasures left...the animals, mowing, mucking the barn, the studio, etc. MFK and I do have one thing in common...we both use the empty butter wrapper to moisturize our hands. It works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love a good tomato aspic! I grew up having it at every holiday meal! I will have to find this recipe for Gazpacho salad to try, the pie looks delicious too. So glad I came upon your site while googling Julia Reed. She was an amazing writer and cook!

    ReplyDelete