Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Anniversary Thoughts

Happy Anniversary, Mama!

And to Daddy, in heaven!



Even though they eventually settled in Nashville after World War II, Mama and Daddy weren't really big fans of hillbilly music, as country music was called then.

Mainly, they were products of the Big Band era. Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey were to them as Elvis and the Beatles were to RH and me as young marrieds.

Mama knew the words to all the big band songs and sang them as she worked about the house in our new two bedroom, one bath home we moved to when I was four, not long before my little sister Deb was born.

I remember being in my pajamas one night staying up later than Deb, a baby in her crib. It was before we got our first television set but the radio was on, the one Mama listened to Stella Dallas and other soaps while ironing.

Music was playing, what I now know was swing music, and Mama and Daddy were dancing, to what I now know was the Jitterbug.

Mama was in a housedress and Daddy in casual slacks and a short sleeve button down shirt that he changed into from his suit after work each day.

Both were in their sock feet and they were having the best time dancing while I watched from the sofa. Daddy wasn't throwing Mama over his shoulder or anything fancy like that but darn if they weren't pretty good, I realize now. 

Mama's shoulder length black hair was bouncing and Daddy had his tongue stuck out through the corner of his mouth like he always did when he was concentrating.

When I remember this night of dancing, I realize that they were still in their early 20s and young, oh so young. 

And fun, lots of fun. This photograph taken while Mama and I were with him in Arcadia, Florida for his Primary Flying gives a hint to that.



We three are on the left, with their friends on the right, Air Force buddies and Christmas card friends all their lives.

I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood but this one, the night that my parents danced in the living room, is tops.

It was a grand night and I was their audience, at least until I was tucked into bed.

Happy Anniversary, Mama and Daddy!





P.S. Since Christine asked in the comments about that being wigs on our heads in the photograph or not, I thought I'd better clarify that it was Spanish moss from the live oak trees. Evidently it was abundant around the Homestead, Florida area where Daddy was stationed, but let's just hope there weren't bugs in it!

20 comments:

  1. Awww, happy anniversary - what a wonderful tribute to your parents, Dewena!! They are so good looking, and I bet you had a wonderful childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dewena - my mother ironed to Stella Dallas, too! I miss my parents so much, and talk to my Mom nearly every day. I'm surrounded by things she gave me, things I revere maybe more than I should as it seems the memories they evoke will end with me. How wonderful for you to have had such a beautiful childhood - it's made you the wonderful genteel lady you are! The pictures are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a maniacal memory!
    The wigs are great, they are wigs,right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tribute to your parents. What a great memory to have of them dancing in the living room. Those were the days when there was no TV or computers etc. to distract us from interacting with each other more. What a wonderful and precious memory to have. Hugs my friend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a sweet tribute. In my family as a child, birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays were spent by moping around for missing loved ones and being a general pain the butt. What a wonderful tradition to remember passed on loved ones, in a lovely tribute filled with the joy of their lives.
    Great post! Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dewena, I loved this post. I could just see your parents dancing from the way you described it. How wonderful . I love the black and white photos. too. I love big band music . Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. that generation might just have been the last of the great romantics! I too remember my parents dancing to the big bands.
    Mother always had music going. her entire life really. she loved it. the war was over and there was a lightness to them. love.
    one morning in Virginia Daddy was in his uniform and Mother was fixing breakfast. he scooped her right up into his arms and they danced on the screened in back porch right off the kitchen! I was little but I remember. I was entranced. just like the same entrancement that your story brings. it was such beautiful music. and they all looked like movie stars to me now! they do! I loved this post. we have wonderful memories you and I. thank you for the reminder! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful memory of childhood and tribute to your parents! Your descriptive writing makes me feel like I was right there. Your mother was beautiful and your father so handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit--I was definitely wondering what was on the heads of these happy souls!! lol!

    Good memories, Dewena. I loved to see my parents happy with each other. Sadly it wasn't often. They never divorced, which I think would have been an option in these days...they endured with differences and a shared goal of raising me and my siblings in a better home than if they parted. In the end, at least the last fifteen years before my mom passed, at seventy-two, they seemed to settle into a content place. When she died, it was a month before their 50th anniversary. It was the first time I saw my father cry.

    Thanks always for making us reach back, at least me. :)

    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a moving post. And that Spanish moss is a hoot. I thought they were 60's hippies at first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great memory to have of your parents. I love it! We forget sometimes, that our parents and grandparents were just as crazy as we were when they were young! It's good to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That generation knew how to dance it seems,so much more than the current one. And Tammy is right, they were true romantics. You have so many many wonderful memories of your childhood Dewena. When I die I want to come back as you :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your story of a truly memorable evening -- oh, how special to have it imprinted on your memory!!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely picture of your parents, Dewena. I just love your story and you really brought to life that young, happy couple and the little girl who must have been smiling from ear to ear to see her mom and dad being so carefree in the moment. I remember my mom used to play Big Band music on the 'hifi' while she cleaned the house. She was such a joyful person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a special post .. I love the memories and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a very nice post.
    A very special tribute to your parents.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that bright eyed, little girl, adoring her two young and beautiful parents, must have subconsciously recorded that exciting romanticism in her story-telling mind, as you grew into a beautiful, gracious and gentle romantic, too, wouldn't you say?

    I can see that young couple, full of life, dreams and babies, dancing up a flirtatious storm, so carefree, despite all their 'serious' adult responsibilities.

    You are blessed to have such sweet memories; what a lovely tribute to your mama and daddy. Happy Anniversary to them!

    Poppy xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm feeling the power of this childhood memory coming through in this post. I can almost see your parents dancing! Glad you added in that the "wigs" are spanish moss!

    ReplyDelete