Saturday, October 31, 2020

Lessons from Ichabod Crane

 

I'm not wanting a scary Halloween this year.

Haven't put out the creepy portraits of my real ancestors that I usually do for Halloween. 

They're here on this post I did in 2013 if you want to see them.  (Many of my blog friends commented on this one but I see that many of them are Instagram only now.) 

I love these old photographs but they may get divided up between our four children because creepy portraits of my dead ancestors hit a little too close to home now..at this stage of my life, during this time where far too many have faced the specter of death--and that's a pretty creepy sentence itself for me to have written!

I never did watch the really scary Halloween movies but I always liked the ones about Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," even Tim Burton's one. But I think Jeff Goldblum, in an earlier movie, was a truer Ichabod Crane to what Irving's character seemed.

I love the picture of Crane above, trying to escape the Headless Horseman. It was an insurance ad in one of my vintage magazines but I forgot to write down which one. 

There are some things to be learned from Ichabod:

If you're courting a wealthy beautiful woman, better be sure your motives are pure.

Parents should think twice before giving permission to a schoolmaster to paddle their children. 

Thinking too much about scary occult things might not be good for you.

You might never be seen again if you insist on being out late on Halloween night.

And watch out for the horseman behind you if you are out late. Especially if his head resembles the Jack-o'-lantern on your front porch.

 

You're welcome. And one more word of advice...

Please wear a mask!